14 month old Nigerian doe no cycle?

rosey

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some opinions about my Nigeran doe. My sister gave her to me on the 20th of March. She is said to be 14 months old . Has been with a buck (12 months old) since she was 8 months . Neither my sister or I have seen her breed or the buck even act interested. My sister is never home so she could have missed it but I spend lots of time with my goats , they are in the back yard. I would have noticed. So my questions are s : do I have a late bloomer or should I assume she may have been breed before she came? Is it odd for a 14 month old to not be sexually mature?
Thanks!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @rosey and welcome to BYH (a year+ later!) If she was bred in January or February, she'd be coming along by now. Have you tried to feel if she has a kid or kids developing inside? Does she look like she might be 3-4 months pregnant? Maybe she'll surprise you with June/July kids... Have you considered taking her for an ultrasound to check? Was/is the buck she was with proven? Maybe the buck is/was the issue? Hope you can figure it out. Also hope you'll let us know once you do! Can you share a pic or two of the doe in question?

@OneFineAcre @Southern by choice @Goat Whisperer or anyone else have any ideas?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
She very well could be bred. Nigies are year round breeders so she could have been bred just before you got her, a month before or two months before.

Nigerians can cycle as early as 8-9weeks old... so.... no, not a late bloomer.

Before suspecting anything wrong I would get a pregnancy test done.

rosey

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She very well could be bred. Nigies are year round breeders so she could have been bred just before you got her, a month before or two months before.

Nigerians can cycle as early as 8-9weeks old... so.... no, not a late bloomer.

Before suspecting anything wrong I would get a pregnancy test done.

I apologize for the delay . I just noticed my replies never showed up!

I can't feel anything but she is definitely getting bigger. Just since I have posted this she has grown a lot width wise. I feel that her udder is thickening? The buck hasn't been proven , we have no kids from him yet.... But I do believe he bred one of my girls March 20, he at least tried. She hasn't come back in season since...
I'm going to try to uploads pics.. Isn't working for me at the moment.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 129

rosey

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
image.jpeg

rosey

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh and I noticed her panting a lot today and nobody else was.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh my! With that bulge on her right side, I'd say she's well along. Were I you, I'd be preparing for summer kids! Yes, there was an "s" at the end. I'm guessing twins! :D

Reactions: TAH

Latest posts