2 yearlings + 1 doeling? How to acclimate

ShadyTreeAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
About a month ago I bought my first goat, a then 4 week old Nigerian Dwarf doeling. She is absolutely amazing and we love her. She gets fed either in the house or in the cab of my truck but sleeps in her own stall in the barn for now.

I've been doing some research on goats and keep running across information about the social aspect of goats and that they need company. That said, I picked up two gorgeous Nigerian yearling does last night. I brought them into the barn and let Arya, the doeling, out of her stall. They sniffed around her for a bit and then one of them headbutted her a number of times. Hard. Being the protective Dad I separate them and made Arya a bed in a big dog crate and put the yearlings in the stall for the night.

Now I need advice. How do I integrate them all? I have read that headbutting can injure or even kill a goat and given the fact that Arya is 1/3rd their size I am concerned.

Thanks,
Jim in Ohio

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Are they disbudded?

Goats do head but when they are introduced to new goats. Most of the time they establish their "pecking order" and get along well after that. If they are all disbudded, I wouldn't worry about any being seriously injured.

If your doeling is used to being by herself, you could put them together during the day and put her up at night if you are worried about her being injured.

Make sure you get a fecal run on your goats if you haven't. The stress of moving can cause a parasite bloom.

Have any of them been tested for common goat diseases like CAE or come from tested herds? It is very important to test (in my opinion) as sadly, it is more common than you might think. (I know this from experience.) It saves a lot of heartbreak to start out with a clean herd.

Welcome to BYH and we always love pictures!

@Southern by choice
@Goat Whisperer
@babsbag
@OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats will be goats.
They have to figure out the pecking order, and since she is the youngest and smallest will likely be on the bottom for the time being.
As long as they have enough room for her to get out the way, she should be fine.
It should settle down.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe if there is a place where she fits and they don't she can at least get away? When I have introduced babies the adults get over it pretty fast. And a hard hit to us is not as bad for a goat!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
They will hopefully integrate over time.
The biggest issue is you bought 2 goats. Those two have already formed a bond and are their own herd. Older means they already have a strong attachment.

Your little one may always be odd goat out. Time will tell.
Usually closer in age and they would become their own mini herd.

Have a place she can escape to if necessary.

ShadyTreeAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
C7A2E23C-4472-46F6-9F82-9ED31982E936_zpsjgstgycs.jpg

First day home

7713D7C6-C964-4CDA-AD9C-5CDAD30B81EF_zps4jik4ewh.jpg

Watching TV with her new buddy

EC934C31-9A75-48E4-B5B8-EC2F279ABBDD_zpskmriwsja.jpg

Two new yearlings interested in a barn cat. Rory on the left, Michelle Obama on the right.

ShadyTreeAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That little doeling is certainly spoiled rotten! Did you bottle feed her?

Yep, still doing it. I'm hoping that I am getting close to the end. How do I know it's time to take her off the bottle? She is eating grass and leaves when I let her roam but shows little interest in grain.