9 month old ND buck- Is he able??

makingshift

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have two Nigerian Dwarf does that are both 2 years old. I also have a 9-month old ND buck that I acquired back in February when he was 2-3 months old. All 3 have been living together since February. I expected the buckling to get interested in the females at a very young age but he hasn't shown any sexual interest until their first noticeable heat cycle 3.5 weeks ago. Then he started courting them and all the usual stuff but it seems like he still doesn't know how to properly mount them and complete the act. They came back into heat this week so neither one got pregnant the first go-round. I'm keeping my fingers crossed about this cycle but I just spent 30 minutes watching them in the pasture and I'm not sure. One doe is in heat right now and he is interested but he seems hesitant to mount her and when he does his penis isn't making contact.

Is there anything I can do to help this along? Does this sound normal? If so, how many cycles of this does he need to figure it out? :) :) I'm laughing as I type this. Thanks for any advice you may have- I'm a beginner when it comes to breeding them.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
He will figure it out and get it right eventually. You'll know when he does. My young bucks are entering their first rut this year also. Good luck!

Goats are Great

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm guessing your guy has probably figured it out by now.... But if not you can always hold the doe's collar so she can't walk away from him... Give him a better chance of reaching...

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know it sounds crazy, but is he tall enough for them? He should be at 9 months, but he's still not done growing and might not be able to reach well. If you don't mind the wait, then time will fix most size issues. I have actually heard of someone using a block or something to help a little guy reach the target, but somehow the picture of a step-ladder comes to mind and I think I'd be too hysterical to try giving him a boost. Good luck, though. Let us know how he does.

ps-I agree with @Goats are Great, I'm pretty sure he's figured it out. I'm betting it's just a size issue.

Latest posts