a couple questions

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
first, im new to raising rabbits and want to do all my research before i aquire my rabbits. when a doe has a litter at what age do i need to seperate them? i understand you ween the kits at about six weeks but if i plan to proccess them at 8 weeks is it neccesary to seperate all the kits into their own cages? or can i keep them all in one big cage till 8 weeks? also i want to utilize as much of the animal as possible and was thinking of saving the hides and feet for keychains..is it ok to sell these items at craft fairs etc? are theres laws in certain states against it? i live in maine...the reason i ask this is because as a kid i remember seeing them at the fairs all the time and i havwnt seen and lucky rabbits feet in a long time didnt know if maybe this was due to a law against it....any help would be great thanks

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's usually just fine to leave the kits with momma until 8 weeks :)
I don't know about your other question, sorry.

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thank you. how long is it safe to keep all the kits together(without mama) for instance if i wanted to raise them to 12 weeks for roasters would it be safe and no chance of accidental interbreeding at a young age?

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you want to raise them longer, the main thing to do is separate the boys and girls. You could leave girls in with mom up to 12 weeks (sometimes can stay longer, but not recommended due to the risk of fighting) and separate just the boys if you weren't in a rush to rebreed the mom or were limited with cage space.
Just keep an eye on the boys for fighting amongst themselves as well.