After birth rules?

Jyn

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So we had our first American Blackbelly lamb this morning and I had some questions:

1.) How long before the afterbirth should pass for 1?

2.) How do you know if there is a twin in there, and how long inbetween the birth of #2?

3.) If the afterbirth doesn't seem to be coming along, what do you do?
Thanks guys!

Jyn

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am sorry I can not help with this. @norseofcourse do you know? I am drawing a blank on other user names of those who raise sheep... :idunno

So from what Ive been able to gather it's said 1-8 hours? Some people differ on a shot of oxytocin or just injecting antibiotics until they expel the afterbirth- Im wondering if there is a natural herb or whatnot you can give them instead?

I have crampbark that I used for my own deliveries but not sure if that would be helpful in this case.

Jyn

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
@Samantha drawz yes this is her first lamb, she is about a year old.

And you are right- I know I even drank red raspberry leaf tea in my pregnancy to help with uterine spasms. I think I might have some raspberry plants growing but my goat might have eaten them all haha!

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I have not had a birth with goats yet, they are still too young. I know sheep can have a harder time but not sure how or with what. Usually, with goats, I have read that they come fairly close together and if I remember correctly the afterbirth happens soon after but bleeding of some sort will continue for a few days or so after the birth? I am still a looong ways off from having these questions so I am hopeful someone will read this and be able to help you more than I.

Reactions: Jyn

tiana29

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I raise ABB's as well. They normally lamb the second within 10-30 minutes of the first so she most likely only has the one. The afterbirth can take a while for some. Most of mine pass it within 6 six hours of birthing. All of my girls have been easy when it comes to lambing time. They do everything on there own and have there lambs up, dry and nursing. Good Luck with your new mom and feel free to contact me if you have any questions. www.stompandsteer.com has all my contact info.

Latest posts