Ahead of schedule...

MMWB

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on getting back into rabbits for another couple of months, but both the cages and bunnies became available for a great price. I've been told on the breeds, but am unfamiliar with rex's so your two cents worth is appreciated. Not sure that this is the route I will go long term (relative to breeds), but it is a start.

Male Rex. 12 months.
P1070416.jpg

Female Rex. 6 1/2 months.
P1070417.jpg

New Zealand. 4 1/2 months.
P1070418.jpg

The two rexes are caged next to each other and I will probably see if she will breed next weekend. I'll give the NZ another 6 weeks or so.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Larger breeds are not usually ready to breed until 8 months. I am not real familiar with rex and nz but your 2 rexes are both broken patterns, which may result in charlies, a pattern without enough color to show. I am guessing though you're raising meat rabbits? The arba website is a good source of information if you're wanting to show. A friend butchered some of my vlops which have the rex coat and her opinion was their skin was thicker compared to the Flemish she had butchered. We kept their pelts.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your Rex and NZ rabbits can breed at 5-6 months. Some may not be 100% fertile or able to carry a litter by then, but most are. The NZ especially has been bred for production and they tend to mature earlier. Not too familiar with the Rex but I have heard that they make quite a fair meat rabbit and that the pelts are valued for the fur quality.

Nice looking trio, love the colors.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Grats on your newest addition to the farm. I haven't decided yet if I'll do rabbits or not. Good luck with them!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also do not know the Rex breed, but your picture of the Rex female looks like a cross to me with a NZ white.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the rabbits :)
I raise mini Rex, not standard, but from what I understand standards do make good meat rabbits, not as good as NZ, but still good and their coats are just amazing!
The Rex coat is recessive, so kits with the NZ will all have regular coats and carry the Rex gene.
Rex can have trouble with sore hocks, so I would make sure they have something to sit on other than wire :)