Amount of hay

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How do I know how much hay to get for the winter? Right now I have two Nigerian dwarf kids, thinking of adding a third. Have no clue how much to get to last through the winter :/

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Round bales or square? Do you free feed or toss a little in at a time? We have 30ish and go through a round bale every 3 weeks or so.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
With 3 goats I wouldn't worry too much LOL You can pick up hay from your feedstore easily. You quite possibly could run more of a risk trying to store too much and it get moldy.

Right now we have grass and forage. The goats get feed and Chaffhaye and we still go through about 1 ton every 2 1/2 weeks. Winter we will probably do one ton every 10 days. (2 weeks hopefully)

We cannot store what we need which stinks... but we just don't have the space. :(

Look at 6-10 lbs per day and what your bales weigh multiply and you should get what you need.
Based on 3 Nigerians.

Gosh - I am depressed thinking about this.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look at 6-10 lbs per day and what your bales weigh multiply and you should get what you need.
Based on 3 Nigerians.

Gosh - I am depressed thinking about this.

Is that 6-10 lbs per day per Nigi? Or per 3 nigis?

I have 40 standard sized goats and I go through a BIG bale (1200-1400 lbs) of alfalfa in 8 days. They get no other feed other than grain on the milk stand and not all of them are being milked.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't try to buy enough hay to last all winter.
Wouldn't have the space to adequately store it.

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have the space to store it. And it won't be too much of a problem if we run out and have to buy from the feed store, but I'm hoping to buy a big chunk now cause the feed store charged us $6.75 for one square bale and right now farmers are selling for $2.50 per bale :/
So this may be a dumb question, but how much does a square bale weigh? If I should expect to feed 6-10 pounds per day...how many days would one bale last? Lol!!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Square bales run from 50-75 lbs.
You might want to check yours and how consistent they are.

I don't buy all of mine at once, but I also don't pay feed store prices. I have a couple of "hay guys" that I can get from all winter long.