Angora rabbit with puss, sores, and swollen genitals

sodamancer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My new angora has a very matted, soaked bottom. Under her tail is raw red with icky fur and a small scab that has pus come out of it. Her genitals are hard and red. She has never been bred. She is 6 months old. Her sister that came with her is fine and shows no signs of the same issue. I will try to get a picture but advice would be great. Or ask me questions so i can give more info.

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't know what that is, but I know how I'd treat it. I'd get scissors and cut all the affected hair off, down to just stubble. Clip the nearby but not yet affected hair, too. Then I'd use plain water and q-tips, and clean everything. Find the scent glands next to the genital opening and be sure to clean those out, too. (They'll look like slits or holes in the skin that you won't see until you start poking around.) I'd clean the cut, too, even opening up the scab to get all the pus out.

And I'd put antibiotic on it too, even though I'm blanking right now on what ones are safe. I'd use a tiny bit on any parts that are still red after that cleaning. And I'd repeat that cleaning and antibiotic every day until nothing is red anymore.

I'd clean and disinfect the cage, too. Make sure there isn't anywhere she can go in it to get those body parts mucky again. If she uses a resting board of any kind I'd be sure to wash it off well every day.

Hope that helps!

sodamancer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks! so the cage is brand new. Literally i have had her for no more than 2 weeks. here is what it looks like
8593577535_d3843cec18.jpg

I gave her zimervectin paste and sprayed it with an antifungal stuff. I will clip it more tomorrow. Her tile in her hutch is cleaned daily with a bleach water solution (started when i noticed something weird)

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Definitely get all that hair clipped down. Keeping the dampness there is just making the problem worse.

Since the cage is new, there could be something on it from the factory or the store that is irritating to her, perhaps even an allergy. I'd get a good steel brush and really scrub that cage all over, and spray it with clean water.

I think my original advice still stands. Clip it down, wash it off, clean the scent glands, antibiotic it, and keep everything super clean. Clip it before putting anything topical on it (the antibiotic or the antifungal) so that it actually reaches the skin.) Get all the puss out of the injury. Make sure you're not leaving any bleach or soap residue on the cage after cleaning it.

sodamancer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks! I am sure she came this way but i just hadnt gotten to clipping her. she had sore hocks upon arrival which i cleared up. clipped her closer tonight and put on bag balm after washing the area. hope she heals alright.

Latest posts