Another Sweetened birthing thread

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi All!

I've been lingering, just so busy and nothing overly productive to add, so I've stayed quiet (usually for the best :D).

Remember Murielle who aborted her twins very late last year, even though we didn't believe her to be bred? She's bred again and due within the next month or so. I caught her passing her mucous plug yesterday, so I keep a close daily eye on her. She, again, does not look pregnant at all. Over the past couple days she has carried out the right side more than ever before, so I'm hoping for 3 little, healthy babes in there.

We are truly surprised she hasn't aborted those kids, and again thought she wasn't pregnant. We had her out on a tether for a couple weeks for some fresh grass to try and get some weight on her (always a slender goat). We came home to find she had tangled her line up in some tall grass, and instead of standing or resting, must have done all she could to try and kill herself. She was bloated, on her back with her legs straight up and her head choked back. I thought she was dead. We came very close to putting her down, but decided if she chose to pull through, we'd let her. She had broken out of her pen over night and sent me on a wild goose chase looking for her. I thought the coyotes had eaten her, but she showed up randomly that day.

So, we're on standby with Murielle and, I thought, if you'd like to wait with me, then please do!

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
:frow I'm with you :pop Poor Murielle just doesn't have the best of luck, does she? :th

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Her hightened level of idiocy doesn't help her very much. She went numb after her sister died and has never really gone 'back to normal'. She's a few posts short of a fence that one!

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'll wait with you! :p
I got a ND doe due here within the next week or two ;)

POOR Murielle! Hope all is well and she has some super healthy babes in there!

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Murielle-goat is driving me insane. She is the way she was when she was due last time: not pregnant looking or feeling. She is an idiot goat, mental and just numb. I tried, before she lost her kids last time, to bump and feel for kids (it's the ultimate reason I threw her back out in the pasture and thought she wasn't pregnant) and felt nothing. Now, it's the same again, I feel nothing, but she doesn't -look- skinny anymore, which is the ONLY sign she's ever shown of being pregnant. She looks healthy. Healthy looking = pregnant for this goat.

Is it normal to not be able to feel kids if you're bumping or moving things around to try and palpate it/them? I never tried this with my other does when they were preggers. Thoughts?

I'm trying to prep myself to bottlefeed, as when she kids I'll be removing the kids from her. I want to give them a fighting chance to not be stupid and I'm not confident she could raise them anyway.

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Murielle-goat is driving me insane. She is the way she was when she was due last time: not pregnant looking or feeling. She is an idiot goat, mental and just numb. I tried, before she lost her kids last time, to bump and feel for kids (it's the ultimate reason I threw her back out in the pasture and thought she wasn't pregnant) and felt nothing. Now, it's the same again, I feel nothing, but she doesn't -look- skinny anymore, which is the ONLY sign she's ever shown of being pregnant. She looks healthy. Healthy looking = pregnant for this goat.

Is it normal to not be able to feel kids if you're bumping or moving things around to try and palpate it/them? I never tried this with my other does when they were preggers. Thoughts?

I'm trying to prep myself to bottlefeed, as when she kids I'll be removing the kids from her. I want to give them a fighting chance to not be stupid and I'm not confident she could raise them anyway.

I'm glad she made it through that episode; I think I would be panicking with a critter like that!:th

Hmmm...from what I've read, folks usually bump the doe after she's had at least one kid. The only other way I'd imagine being able to know for sure is to get an ultrasound or just keep waiting (which is what I do :D ). Hope Murielle has some healthy kids for you so you're not waiting anymore! :caf

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
New development. No udder, but her normally black vulva is pink on the right side, and seems less poofy than normal, pointing downwards rather dramatically. Shes breathing heavy, but she does that sometimes. Is up and down a lot, but she does that sometimes too. Not the tiniest bit of udder on her though.