Australian Mini Nubians. Gen 1&2

Dillo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi All.
We are new here and I've been talking to Southern by Choice recently. It was suggested we show you how our mini Nubians are progressing here in Australia. We've only got about 4 serious breeders, because generally they go over the mini height maximum of 25-26", so most people give up. However, we just love their sweet nature, personalities and colours. Who wouldn't!! Enjoy our pics. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So this is what I have to look forward to! Thank you so much for sharing. I've just got one question that's been on my mind. Our baby (who will be mama) Nubian is my sweetheart. When you started selecting which does to keep did you also keep the original mama? I want to get to 2nd and 3rd generations but I also want to keep my Hazel.
Oh, and another question. We own the buck we'd originally planned to breed her with, but should we do first breeding with another ND buck and save our buck for breeding the next generation? (That thought just occurred to me...and so early in the morning!) Hazel's mama had triplets her first birthing and Hazel was one of a set of quads so I'm hoping that will carry on and we'll at least have a couple of good doe babies to choose from.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
So this is what I have to look forward to! Thank you so much for sharing. I've just got one question that's been on my mind. Our baby (who will be mama) Nubian is my sweetheart. When you started selecting which does to keep did you also keep the original mama? I want to get to 2nd and 3rd generations but I also want to keep my Hazel.
Oh, and another question. We own the buck we'd originally planned to breed her with, but should we do first breeding with another ND buck and save our buck for breeding the next generation? (That thought just occurred to me...and so early in the morning!) Hazel's mama had triplets her first birthing and Hazel was one of a set of quads so I'm hoping that will carry on and we'll at least have a couple of good doe babies to choose from.

@MsDeb
I do not believe you would not want to breed the next generation to a Nigerian at all. That would be going in the wrong direction.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, they are very good breeders and produce some beautiful animals.

Breeding mini's is rather complex, because there are so many factors. Depending on the mini- breed there are specific focuses. All mini breeds share a common focus and that is te size the other major factors could include color for some, face structure another, ears on another , some have multiple considerations outside of size.

Sometimes it make appear to be gong backward but that is not always the case. For the Nubian and the Lamancha they both have the ear and face factors. Sometimes you focus on the ear sometimes you backtrack to focus on the structure, or in reverse structure then ear. It takes a lot of work :)

This year we chose one of our mini bucks to breed to our mini does and we based the pairing for structure.
Buck 1 had fantastic structure, longer , more lamancha all the way around except his ears were not as good as buck #2
#2 is more Nigie in body, structure, head but has far better ears.
The doe is very "Lamancha", and already has great ears... only real dwarf look in her is blue eyes and she is mini at 23 1/2 " . She will probably be 24"-25" by age 3.
The #2 buck we were not sure if we would even use him for breeding... the waiting game... he is maturing nicely and losing some of the "Nigie" body. We will see.
Buck #1 was evaluated by a judge in the MDGA - he is a very nice specimen! ;)

Ears are not my first concern but for some it is.

Sometimes I wonder why I didn't do an easy breed like the Mini-Alpine!:rolleyes:

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@MsDeb
I do not believe you would not want to breed the next generation to a Nigerian at all. That would be going in the wrong direction.
But if I bred a half ND, half Nubian doe with a Nubian buck the kids would be bigger. I'm confused. Maybe I should just go to the link you posted for me. Duh.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
But if I bred a half ND, half Nubian doe with a Nubian buck the kids would be bigger. I'm confused. Maybe I should just go to the link you posted for me. Duh.

I thought you were talking about breeding a full Nigerian Buck to a full Nubian doe. And then breeding that offspring back to a full Nigerian Buck.
That's what I meant about going in the wrong direction and that it is only in the context of breeding "mini" Nubians. One would have one that was more 3/4 Nigerian.
Would still probably be a wonderful animal. :)
If one were wanting to breed "mini" Nubians, one would want to breed that to a "mini" Nubian buck.

Just like SBC. She had a La Mancha doe who she bred to a Nigerian Buck. "Trouble" is an F1 cross.
What she has done is gone out and gotten an F1 Buck (a cross between a Nigerian Buck and La Mancha Doe) to breed to her F1.