Baby goat has runny loose poop

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Jody said:
Called county extension, no water testing available.
Try your local Health Department.

And CM, makes sense to me.

About the milk replacer, are you sure you're mixing it the correct strength? Not over feeding, not changing water temps, etc. Just thinking while I'm typing.

Jody

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Test results are negative for any parasitic bacteria, coccida, etc. only thing not tested for is e-coli.

So, it looks like it is diet related considering the lack of sick behavior in the goat.

Thank you everyone for your help, advice and suggestions.

Also, how do I switch over to a different milk replacer? Should I mix some of the new with the other brand, say 75% old brand 25% manna pro kid milk, then next day increase to 50/50, and 3rd day 25/75, and on 4th 100%, or should it be slower?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Jody said:
Test results are negative for any parasitic bacteria, coccida, etc. only thing not tested for is e-coli.

So, it looks like it is diet related considering the lack of sick behavior in the goat.

Thank you everyone for your help, advice and suggestions.

Also, how do I switch over to a different milk replacer? Should I mix some of the new with the other brand, say 75% old brand 25% manna pro kid milk, then next day increase to 50/50, and 3rd day 25/75, and on 4th 100%, or should it be slower?
I'd go slower, personally..

Actually, if it were mine, I'd be swapping it from replacer to the whole milk+condensed milk+buttermilk recipe I've used before.

I'm just not a fan of replacer.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I had the same issue with replacer, which is why I use store bought cow's milk when I don't have a doe milking.

:thumbsup that he's not sick!

cmjust0 - I gotta tell ya...cocci doesn't always present with scouring...cocci can also cause CONSTIPATION (tell me if that isn't confusing as all get out)...

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
GOATS are just confusing as all get out....

Once you think you've got something figured out (like cocci symptoms, etc.) they go and throw in some odd symptom....or spontaneously get better...or suddenly get worse.

I agree w/ not using replacer...some folks have great luck with it, but I have never been one of them. We use whole Vitamin D milk (bought on sale, we stock up and freeze the surplus until needed) when there isn't enough goat milk to go around.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
helmstead said:
cmjust0 - I gotta tell ya...cocci doesn't always present with scouring...cocci can also cause CONSTIPATION (tell me if that isn't confusing as all get out)...
I know.. That's why I wrote:

me said:
Even with mild coccidiosis that shows some diarrhea, ....
Like, as opposed to acute coccidiosis that presents with dysentary, or chronic coccidiosis that presents with...well, nothing in some cases except a poor doer and possibly some anemia. Or constipation, I suppose..

I was just saying that the kid was doing fine otherwise, and the diet -- the calf milk replacer diet, I might add -- had been screwed around with, and the goat wasn't dead yet, so I was just sorta starting to lean heavily toward it being dietary.

Latest posts