Barn monitoring recommendations

Bifrost

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I need to set up some sort of monitoring for the does this year. Our barn isn't terribly far from the house. Maybe 200 feet. However, the milking parlor is between the barn and house, putting three walls between me in the house and the barn where the kidding pen is. One of them is fiberglass. Also, our wireless doesn't reach, even with a booster.

I'd love some recommendation for monitors that others have used with a similar set up (several walls the signal has to go through). I realize most of the monitors reach 500-800 feet, but that is pretty much with a clear view.

Thanks in advance!!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would either look at hard wired IP camera, you can run cable 300', or get a range extender and mount it on the milking parlor. This isn't a booster, it is an actual repeater. But I will warn you, not the easiest thing to configure correctly.

Closed Circuit TV might be another option.

Bifrost

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was wondering about the baby monitors. Would they work or would the walls be too much of a barrier? We're a pretty tech savvy household, so I wouldn't mind tackling the range extender. Thanks.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was wondering about the baby monitors. Would they work or would the walls be too much of a barrier? We're a pretty tech savvy household, so I wouldn't mind tackling the range extender. Thanks.
We have a baby monitor in ours and it works pretty good. We are a good ways from the barn. Wouldn't hurt to try.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't used a baby monitor but they are designed to go through walls in a house so maybe they would work.

This is the extender I used
http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=1246&model=TL-WA5210G
They call it an access point but it you look at the all the specs it does work as a repeater as well. I am a network engineer by trade and it had me scratching my head a few times but I did get it to work and it works well.

I run 2 wireless IP cameras through it and will be adding one more next week. I also got a dynamic DNS account, about 25.00 a year, so I can watch all my cameras when I am away from home. The cameras are wide angle with night vision, but no pan or tilt. Those were a bit more pricey but sure would be nice.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I have a regular baby monitor and last year DH got me a video display baby monitor that works pretty well. Our barn was about 100 feet from the house and had wood and metal to transmit through.