Bear killed a pet goat in Boulder, CO

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That TOTALLY sucks! Nevermind how horrifying that would be to watch a bear EAT your beloved pet while you sat there! EW!

I'm going to assume that the goat owners do not own firearms? It sounds like they're in a kind of suburban/rural area though...if all their neighbors have livestock animals/pets as well. I've read articles about the bears in Colorado that get shot in people's homes for breaking in and the like. That would freak me out! Guess it's that time of year for them.

Unfortunately I guess some people are better equiped to deal with living near nature than others.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
That sucks. I couldn't imagine how I would feel if my goat(s) got eaten by a bear. I feel so bad for them.

*Now for my signature*
Sounds like they need an Anatolian!!
*Sorry, I had too*

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
CocoNUT said:
That TOTALLY sucks! Nevermind how horrifying that would be to watch a bear EAT your beloved pet while you sat there! EW!

I'm going to assume that the goat owners do not own firearms? It sounds like they're in a kind of suburban/rural area though...if all their neighbors have livestock animals/pets as well. I've read articles about the bears in Colorado that get shot in people's homes for breaking in and the like. That would freak me out! Guess it's that time of year for them.

Unfortunately I guess some people are better equiped to deal with living near nature than others.
No they live inside the City of Boulder...about 1/3 of an acre lot...walking distant to bus stop, shops etc.... That was the shocking part. They are not even near the hillside. The are literally smack in the middle of the city.
We are in the mountains and bears frequent our property...I have been told. Our neighbors have cameras...and mountain lions/bears had been recorded. Two weeks ago, a bear cub was hit by a car...just in front of our property. The cub's mom and sibling escaped without being harmed. We don't have guarding animals but in situation like this, it wouldn't have help...maybe a big vet bill? We do lock up our goats ...hopeful strong enough. We have shot guns...and wold use it in case like this.
Sad for the people, goat and the bear too.

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The scary thing is they had an 8 foot security fence too!

Wow...a cub getting hit across the street from you. That's so sad. I always feel roadkill is such a waste - no matter what the animal. (Unless it's a possum or racoon!) One of my neighbors saw a huge blackbear crossing the (main) road up from our house not about a month ago! Talk about crazy! I know there's at least ONE bear that walks our valley...thankfully, I've yet to see him.

I'd be REALLY worried about the kids in that neighborhood. I'd definitely have an LGD though...if for no other reason than to watch my kid!

When I first moved to the mainland, I was speaking to a lady on the phone who'd had a bear "come through her back door." I was aghast! She was nonchalant. She tells me "Well...had a bear take one of the dogs last year...right off his chain! Damned daughter...keep telling her to remember to close that back door otherwise the bears'll come in after the dog food!" I had NEVER heard of this kind of thing before! (No bears in Hawaii...except the zoo.) What really shocked me was how 'normal' this was for this lady. WOW. But then it seems it isnt' that unusual after all.

I would be heartbroken.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
A bear killed my goat last year. The bear weighed in excess of 350 pounds. The goat ran past the bear. The bear chased her and killed her, dragged her off and buried her under some branches and leaves.

The forest service trapped the bear and took it elsewhere. I have photos. I was upset. Within days another bear came and took over it's territory.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
A bear killed my goat last year. The bear weighed in excess of 350 pounds. The goat ran past the bear. The bear chased her and killed her, dragged her off and buried her under some branches and leaves.

The forest service trapped the bear and took it elsewhere. I have photos. I was upset. Within days another bear came and took over it's territory.
Dang. That stinks.