Best soap recipes

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i made my first goats milk soap. It was fun. the husband thinks it stinks. I used a few drops of sweet orange essential oil but it does g smell like orange. It smells a bit like old oil. I thought i had enough but had to use some odd ball oil from the cabinet.
I thought it would never harden but it finally did and I love it so we have odd shaped chunks of soap to use now.

Any good recipes? I can't use but oils. The man is allergic to tree nuts.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
We would like to try making soap so recipe that others like would be great. I did check out a couple of books on soap making- The Natural Soap Book and The Soapmaker's Companion. I know there is also a book called Milk-Based Soaps.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any good recipes? I can't use but oils. The man is allergic to tree nuts

Had to re-read that one a few times...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

@babsbag has recipes she printed off for us.

My question ... is there a difference in how much you use when using Essential Oils compared to fragrance.
Most people that get would use our soap can't do fragrance but can do oils.

Anyone know where to get a cutter that isn't $200.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southernbychoice, I guessing you are looking at cutters that cut more than one bar at a time. Yes? I didn't realize those cutters were so expensive. I took a quick look on Amazon, because one never know what one will find there, and they had this, among other vendors, http://www.amazon.com/Bar-Soap-Cutt...sbs_201_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W8S87ZCAD0E9X4RYYD2 Counting shipping you are still looking close to $200, but you can cut 12 1" bars at a time.

I haven't made soap yet, it is on "The List" but I thought I'd go the bar mold route... any thoughts on what is better?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had to re-read that one a few times...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

@babsbag has recipes she printed off for us.

My question ... is there a difference in how much you use when using Essential Oils compared to fragrance.
Most people that get would use our soap can't do fragrance but can do oils.

Anyone know where to get a cutter that isn't $200.

From the one book I have: Basic Soap Making- what I have seen on the recipes- it tells you how much to add based on weight and that one needs to experiment with essential oils & fragrance to find what works for you.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southernbychoice, I guessing you are looking at cutters that cut more than one bar at a time. Yes? I didn't realize those cutters were so expensive. I took a quick look on Amazon, because one never know what one will find there, and they had this, among other vendors, http://www.amazon.com/Bar-Soap-Cutt...sbs_201_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W8S87ZCAD0E9X4RYYD2 Counting shipping you are still looking close to $200, but you can cut 12 1" bars at a time.

I haven't made soap yet, it is on "The List" but I thought I'd go the bar mold route... any thoughts on what is better?

Umm if I got that my DH would divorce me... and that wouldn't be good because then who would pay for my goat addiction? :hu
Yes, I do make sacrifices. :lol:

@babsbag GAVE me a box soap mold when she came to visit! I love it! We also have some small soap molds.
I want to try the silicone round molds... but I really like tthe wavy cut rounds but did look into the cylinder molds and did not see good reviews so my rounds won't be wavy. :(

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Umm if I got that my DH would divorce me... and that wouldn't be good because then who would pay for my goat addiction? :hu
Yes, I do make sacrifices. :lol:

@babsbag GAVE me a box soap mold when she came to visit! I love it! We also have some small soap molds.
I want to try the silicone round molds... but I really like tthe wavy cut rounds but did look into the cylinder molds and did not see good reviews so my rounds won't be wavy. :(

I know someone who uses 4" PVC pipe to make round soap molds but of course no waves.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lol, I meant nut oils. Like almond. I used coconut oil because I don't think it bothers him.

I had a hard time cutting it, too. Hence the odd shaped chunks. I was wondering if I should have cut it before it got hard....

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is orange oil a good choice? I also have lavender I could try.