Brand of Feed Questions

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are currently feeding Purina rabbit pellets because they have been the only commercial feed that keeps the does' weights up when they're lactating. We buy it at TSC.

Well, yesterday I learned that my local mill carries Kalmbach rabbit feed. I know that it's a popular feed for goats. Has anyone tried the rabbit formula? And if so, any thoughts? I would prefer to buy all my feed from the local mill as they're good people and it's family owned.

I'm probably going to try a bag when my current feed runs out, just to see what it smells and looks like, how the buns like it, etc. (I've noticed that the more a feed smells like something I'd want to eat, the more good it seems to do my animals!)

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I dont know much of rabbit feed
But I would look at the feed tag from both brands side by side and look up
In a feeds book or the internet on what the feed requirementzs compare them and if they both have the nutrition your looking for then its just up to personal choice

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you, I think it's going to end up as a personal choice. Or the rabbit's choice :D

I would still like to know if anyone out there has gone through the same decision, or uses Kalmbach and likes it.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
We switched from TSC to the local feed mill a few months ago and so far prefer the mill version to the TSC brands of feed. It's also less expensive and the rabbits seem to need less feed. I've expanded my herd since the switch and I'm not going through more feed, so they're doing well on the new stuff :)
Can't help you with the brand though.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, we have been feeding the Kalmbach feed for about a month now and the rabbits like it just as much as the Purina, so we are going to stick with it as it is cheaper (though not by much).

Latest posts