Breeding a Mini Lamancha doe to a Lamancha buck

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering, would it be a bad idea to breed a Mini Lamancha doe to a full-sized Lamancha buck? It would be her first time, and, seeing how big Lamancha bucks are, I would think she would have a hard time giving birth to her kid(s). Would a Mini Lamancha buck be better? The doeling in question is in my avatar. I am planning on breeding her in a few months.

Thank you!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
How much does she weigh? How tall is she? Age? How old is she in the pic?

You *might* me able to breed her to a full lamancha, I was thinking she was half dwarf and half lamancha.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please don't do it. You said this would be her first kidding. Many first fresheners have a single kid for their first and if she is bred to a full size or very large buck, that single may be too big for her to deliver. My son's favorite full size LaMancha was bred to a buck that produced nice large kids. Most of our herd had no trouble, but Kiwi wasn't that large herself and the single buck kid inside was almost as big as she was. After several hours of trying to get the kid out, we drove to a friend's house for help. Finally, with Kiwi fading by the minute, we put her down and delivered the kid. It had been sucking on my fingers about 5 minutes before but was dead when we cut him out. After that we used another buck that had small birthweight kids for all our first fresheners. My son had bred this doe, raised her, shown her, she was out of his favorite show doe with a terrific udder and out of a wonderful buck who threw beautiful bodies as well as udders, but the devastating thing for him was the pain she suffered during that horrific night. There is a reason a lot of dairies use Angus bulls on their first freshening Holstein heifers. Angus calves have a smaller birth rate. Dairy farmers don't like losing cows to calving problems..

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
have the same questions as @Goat Whisperer. if she is 87% lamancha and if she grows out well before you breed her then maybe but i would feel more comfortable if you bred to a smaller buck at least for her first freshening. first fresheners are famous for having one giant kid, for some reason they are usually bucks. breeding to a smaller buck would sure make her life easier at kidding time. she would probably be ok to bred to a full sized buck on her 2nd freshening. aren't your other doelings full sized goats? what do you plan to breed them to?

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I say just breed to a smaller buck this time, and if she grows out then you may be able to bred her to the lamancha buck. Now if it was the other way around, where the buck was smaller and the doe was bigger that would be an ideal situation. But, definitely just wait and see if she gets any bigger before breeding her to your buck. Good luck.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How much does she weigh? How tall is she? Age? How old is she in the pic?

You *might* me able to breed her to a full lamancha, I was thinking she was half dwarf and half lamancha.

I tape measured her and she is about 67 pounds. I will measure her to see how tall she is. Right now she is 9 months old, but in my avatar she is about seven months.

Here are a few picture's I took of her yesterday.

You can see Magnolia and Penelope in the background. :D =D The pictures make it look way darker outside then it actually is.
IMG_9788.JPG
IMG_9793.JPG
IMG_9800.JPG

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I say just breed to a smaller buck this time, and if she grows out then you may be able to bred her to the lamancha buck. Now if it was the other way around, where the buck was smaller and the doe was bigger that would be an ideal situation. But, definitely just wait and see if she gets any bigger before breeding her to your buck. Good luck.

I actually don't have a buck yet, I am just considering getting one temporarily to breed my goats, and on craigslist in our area there are a lot more full-sized Lamancha's then there are Mini's.

Latest posts