1. Announcing the new awards/recognition feature - medals!
    Read MORE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. BYH Featured Thread: Introducing Goats
    Click HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

4. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

Breeding age of Californian rabbits

Discussion in 'Breeds and Breeding - Rabbits' started by WannaBeFarmR, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Jul 26, 2012
    WannaBeFarmR

WannaBeFarmR Chillin' with the herd

I have 2 Californian rabbit does, i'm not 100% sure on their age I will have had them for about 4 months I have an older Californian buck he's about 3 yrs, how old do the does need to be to breed I've heard 8 months but less then a year because delivery becomes more difficult after a year. I've also hear six months at what age do most people breed?
  2. Jul 26, 2012
    autumnprairie

autumnprairie Owned by the Rotten Heifers

I breed at 6 months
  3. Jul 27, 2012
    DianeS

DianeS Ridin' The Range

There are lots of opinions on this one. Personally, I breed after I'm sure the doe is fully grown, which is usually around 6 months. If I have no clue about a doe's age, I track her weight and height and when she has the same ones for about 30 days, I assume she's fully grown.

And don't worry about the "breed before one year" thing - it's a myth. Rabbits can have their first litters any time, and it's just fine.