Breeding.

Kada6305

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am getting 2 does in 2-4 weeks. one is currently in milk. The other isn't. I want to breed the one who isn't in milk in August as that is when she goes into heat. My question is should i buy a buck? pros/cons of keeping bucks? I am having a hard time finding anyone with bucks in my area for breeding.

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Depends on where you live. Buck in my opinion aren't that bad. Mine have never stunk really bad. If they start to disrespect you, I'd go ahead and sell him, but other than that bucks are really nice to have around when you don't have many goats. Some people would suggest to send them off but, I have never done that before and I don't particularly trust sending my does away to someone else. Id say go for it, if you want too. Have fun! Hope that helped, even if just a little bit.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Con:
  • Bucks need separate housing from the does, preferably not right near your house. They should not live with your does. That is a job and expense many don't want.
  • Bucks do have an odor that is particularly strong in the fall. It will get on you and it does not come off with a simple wash of the hands. We bought special soap and I have made my kids half-strip outside when they decide to go play with the bucks in the fall.
  • Bucks eat just as much food, drink water, need hoof care, medical attention as the does so there is added expense.
  • Bucks *can* be hard to handle, even aggressive depending on the animal. This can be avoided or mitigated but sometimes, it happens anyway.

Pros:
  • Bucks we have had are sweet, lovey, and hilarious to watch. I like their personality maybe more than my does. (I prefer getting younger bucks that I can train to behave themselves --not jump up on me, not lean on me, let me handle them. I also only keep hornless bucks and will never have one with horns again)
  • The odor is only really noticeable during rut season, and some don't really mind it.
  • Having a buck is much more convenient that trying to rent one AND folks who rent theirs may or may not be selling good genetics so you may end up just taking what you can get.

Latest posts