Can cats get bots?

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our very spoiled barn cat had a sore on his back two weeks ago. It healed fine, but he was pretty miserable for a few days. I guessed he caught it going under a fence or something since it looked like a small puncture wound.

Today, he has another just a few inches away from it. Looks like a round sore about as big around as the end of my pinky finger. No other signs of sores on him and he was inside last night.

Any thoughts?

If so what would the treatment be?

We will probably take him to the vet since he is due for rabies, but they are booked today, I'm booked tomorrow, and they are booked Friday.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, thanks to our neighbor we figured it out.

He is getting attacked by blue jays! Well, it would probably be considered self defense for them in all actuality since he's a competent hunter. They are dive bombing him and pecking at the base of his tail. I haven't seen it yet- but she saw it happen this morning.

Not sure exactly what we can do about it at this point. Keeping him inside all the time would be very hard. (He's mostly a barn cat, but comes inside sometimes to nap or a few nights a week sleep overnight.) Especially since it's not like he'd just need to be inside for a few days. Maybe he will learn they aren't worth it an to stick with squirrels, mice, and lizards?

Sigh. Yea, I never would have thought of that one.

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I can see that in my head as you describe it, and I almost want to laugh, but the poor guy - that's got to be painful! Hopefully he'll learn to stay away from the blue jays.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I am so happy to hear its NOT Bots! But am very sorry I am laughing so hard over the fact he continues to go after the Blue Jays :lol: I had a big tom cat like that. He just never did learn his lesson. Eventually he did get them and was so so proud of it!