can goats eat cantaloupe?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
trestlecreek said:
Captive animals need to be supplemented to achieve a complete diet.
I'm not sure anybody would disagree with you on that, but "supplement" comes in a lot of forms.. Hay is supplementation.

I was just talking about bagged commercial feed..

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, but bagged feed is a supplement....most people would prefer the goats live off the land,...so when you look at hay, bagged feed and minerals, they are all supplements to the land(browse available).

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not sure what you're getting at here..

Did you somehow get the impression that I didn't think bagged feed was a supplement? If so, that's odd, because I specifically mentioned bagged feed in terms of supplementation.. I even said, quite specifically, that I didn't think anyone would disagree with you that goats need supplementation..

All I said was that if you look at the history of goats and people as a 24 hour period, bagged feed has been around for 15 minutes.

That's all.

I don't get it... Almost seems like you're trying to pick a fight with me...what am I missing here? :hu

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was elaborating Chris,..sorry that you took it wrong.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ummm...who's Chris?

Now I'm really confused.. :hu :idunno

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Your name is not Chris?? For some reason, I thought that was your name,...must of been a brain fart.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think the whole point here is captive goats (goats that are not give hundreds of acres on which to browse/wander) are subject to the good/bad feeding regime of their owners. A consistent diet for a captive goat is healthier, than table scraps. If people want to feed scraps they might be better off buying a pig, or chickens. Just as dog owners have by and large discovered feeding people food to their dogs is not a good thing, many goat owners are discovering it is far cheaper to throw that table scrap in the trash, than it is to doctor a sick goat. Will there be those people who insist on using their goats as garbage disposals, absolutely, just as there will be a host of others who want to do what is best for the animal.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
tc said:
Your name is not Chris?? For some reason, I thought that was your name,...must of been a brain wind.
Nope. :D

Check this out, though.. My brother's named Chris, so it wasn't uncommon as I was growing up for people in my family to call me Chris and then correct themselves..

I think all those oopsies must have cosmically rubbed off on me somehow, though, because then people outside my family started accidentally calling me Chris -- even people who didn't know my brother! I've even asked people who seem to want to call me Chris all the time why they feel compelled to call me Chris....invariably, they have no idea. They just want to call me Chris for some reason.. If someone blanks on my name, they'll say "Hey there!...uh...it's Chris, right?" almost every time.

This, however, is a first...never has someone called me Chris across the internet.. :ep

Not only do you not know my brother, nor that his name is Chris...you didn't even know MY name...nor have you ever seen me...nor have you ever heard my voice..

Yet...you just called me Chris.

Freaky, huh? :lol:

mossyStone

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I grow extra stuff in my garden just for my goats and chickens, they all get extra goodies ... Along with good hay and minerals ,baking soda and browes...

Mossy Stone Farm:woot

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
kimmyh said:
I think the whole point here is captive goats (goats that are not give hundreds of acres on which to browse/wander) are subject to the good/bad feeding regime of their owners. A consistent diet for a captive goat is healthier, than table scraps. If people want to feed scraps they might be better off buying a pig, or chickens. Just as dog owners have by and large discovered feeding people food to their dogs is not a good thing, many goat owners are discovering it is far cheaper to throw that table scrap in the trash, than it is to doctor a sick goat. Will there be those people who insist on using their goats as garbage disposals, absolutely, just as there will be a host of others who want to do what is best for the animal.
Umm...WOW, just WOW!

I think feeding fresh fruit and vegetable matter occasionally is a whole different matter than what you are talking about where people are only feeding their goats "table scraps" (incidentally, IMO, table scraps are not fresh fruit and vegetable matter, table scraps are bits of leftover tuna and cheese sandwiches and half-eaten frittatas- which I do give to my chickens every now and then but wouldn't CONSIDER giving them to goats, but I digress). I am not sure how you made the jump from one to the other. :idunno

It SEEMS as if you are lumping together the people who are only feeding garbage with the people who are occasionally feeding fresh veggies and fruits. And it SEEMS as if you are saying that people who are feeding fruits and veggies do not care about or want what is best for their animals...I hope I just have the wrong impression here.

CM:

My dear husband's name is Justin. His brother is Jason. EVERYBODY around here mis-calls him Jason because he is the younger brother. It really creeps him out when we go places (like on vacation - staying in hotels and the like - and people call him Jason. Weird.