Can you make money raising rabbits?

cattlecait

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
theawesomefowl said:
Oh, for sure, and plenty for more! If it's a very good show rabbit, it can go upwards of $175 or more. I've heard of (eeek!) $1,000 rabbits, but I think thats going a little far. Some rarer breeds, such as German Giants, go for $500 because only one person in the country has them.

KristyHall

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have only met two people who make money on rabbits. A local hobby farmer who teaches classes in rabbit car and meat raising and that is where she gets the money.
And someone I went to college with. His family raised meat rabbits on an industrial scale. He sold the meat to the local specialty stores and to dog food companies, he sold the hides to fur makers and the local native groups who use it in their regalia making and art work, and their composted manure to organic growers
They made decent enough money and it was rabbit money that sent him to college, but he stressed the huge amount of work it is. We're talking thousands of rabbits run by five family members. He had to go home on weekends and holidays to help out.
He loved it, and intends on having a few rabbits for his own meat use once he graduates and gets his own place, but he pointed out to me that to make money you have to do it on a large scale, and you have to find a nitch, a buyer, and be willing to use everything you can.

sc00ter4900

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I like the question Can you make money raising rabbits? LOL Yes you can . How much is up to you. :) I started last may with 3 does and one buck By dec. I ended up with well over 50 Rabbits. I sold a few for pets , meat and of corse dinner. With there feed cost and what materials for the cages cost I didnt make a profit. My choice but I wanted a hobby that will keep me busy and some what pay for its self. Havnt broke even yet but this year I should if I dont buy any more cages LOL. I got into this to eat better , Have something to do since im not smoking and need to get some exercise. So far its working out for me.I really enjoy doing the rabbits and chicken. I have a hobby that me and my granson can do together. Thanks Scotty

Hop N'Tail

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
As a rabbit breeder for for about 9+ years you lose money with rabbits. Raising rabbits its more of a hobby, don't depend on making big bucks raising rabbits.