Chaffhaye anyone?!

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Alrighty! I have seen snippets about Chaffhaye here and there in the forums and thought it might be beneficial to start a thread specifically about it for those of us interested in it.
If you use it could you please let us know your experiences, which livestock you use it for and if you'd recommend it? Of course it will be different for everyone, but I know it would be awesome to hear what everyone recommends.
In my instance I am interested in possibly using it with my goats and sheep.

You guys are awesome! :woot

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have fed it to our goats. They love it. There is very little waste unlike regular hay.

You need to use a bag within a certain time frame because it is moist and can get moldy. (I've heard 3 days and I've heard 10 days, I can't remember what the bag says)

We quit because we got concerned about the issue of mold and at the time we had a mature doe that died. Her death turned out to be not related.

I think we will probably use some this fall and winter.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would be very interested to hear how long a bag lasts for opened as well as unopened. I would like to look into using this in the cold weather months (which are many in NH!) but the closest dealer is an hour away, and I have no other reason to drive up that direction. So it is only worth it if I can buy in larger quantities.

It's so cold here I wondered if I could use it along with hay (and do I still need grain?) and it would help them maintain weight and stay warm in the winter?

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@NH homesteader I know on their website you can request a quote for large orders, http://chaffhaye.com/estimates/
Their website states an unopened bag is good for 16 months :ep but an opened bag only lasts 7-14 days.
I've also heard that the molding is not as big an issue in drier states, such as here in Colorado. But again, I have absolutely no idea. So I am very curious about that as well!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh that would be nice! I only have 6 goats so might not qualify for their version of a large order! I'll have to look at their site and see the sizes of bags and recommended feeding so I know how fast I would go through a bag...

Would it reduce how much hay they need or is it just an add on?

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So I heard back from my 'local' dealer, they ask $13.75 a bag, $135 for 10 bags (save $2.50 :lol:) or $510 for a pallet of 40 (save $40). So really curious about usage and storage

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre When you feed it, is that all you give as feed?

No, it wasn't all we were feeding. We were still giving free choice grass hay and some feed.
We were trying this in place of regular alfalfa hay we always supplement our milkers and kids with.

I do know a farm that feeds this and no other type of hay

Latest posts