1. BYH Featured Thread: Winter with goats
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. BYH Picture Contest - Fall 2014
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. BYH New Section: Bees & Beekeeping
    CLICK HERE!

4. Official Poll: What breed of Livestock Guardian Dog do you prefer?
    CLICK HERE!

5. Official BYH Caption Contest #4 - Pic by Pioneer Chicken
    CLICK HERE!

6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

'Chastity belt' for a ram?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Sheep' started by Iceblink, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Feb 11, 2010
    Iceblink

Iceblink Exploring the pasture

I'd like to let my ram lamb graze with my 2 ewes this summer, but I don't want them bred until late fall. He's a bottle baby, so he's inside at this point, and I know it will be a few months before he'll be mature enough to breed anyway, but at that point I'd like to not have to separate him.

Does anyone use anything to keep their rams from breeding until the right time?
  2. Feb 11, 2010
    ksalvagno

ksalvagno Alpaca Master

Most people use a separate pen for them.
  3. Feb 11, 2010
    jhm47

jhm47 Loving the herd life

What breed are they? There are quite a few breeds that only breed when the daylength is getting shorter. However, there are some breeds that will breed at any time of year.
  4. Feb 12, 2010
    Iceblink

Ram is Dorper/Katahdin, ewes are Dorper and ShetlandX.

KS - I will pen him separately if I have to, but I was hoping there would be some other way.
  5. Feb 12, 2010
    jhm47

jhm47 Loving the herd life

I am not familiar with those breeds. Perhaps someone else who is will be able to advise on their breeding tendencies.
  6. Feb 12, 2010
    aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie The Shepherd

If it were me, I might graze them together until he was about 5 months old, and then separate them. Unless he's unusually large, then I may separate them earlier. You'd be surprised what "little" rams can reach to breed. ;)
  7. Feb 13, 2010
    Beekissed

Beekissed Loving the herd life

I'd keep them separate...the hair breeds are known to mature early and the gals are pretty hot to trot every month of the year. Don't want to have a too early breeding on your hands and ruin a good ewe.

It's also good if you can keep them VERY separate, as the ram will walk himself silly along that fence line and it's pretty pitiful to watch.

I know sheep do better when they have a companion and, if you have the room, some folks keep a wether in with the ram for this purpose.
  8. Feb 13, 2010
    Iceblink

The ewes are old enough to breed at any time. I don't have a whole lot of room, that's why I was trying to find a way to keep them together.

Has anyone kept a ram and a buck together? Would they just fight all the time?