Anatolians as LGDs and training problems

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule I’m not convinced it’s aggression on Boone’s part. Although he has always been pushy, even @ 3 mo, I am inclined to think it may be related to Randy’s pain issues. But I am monitoring the dogs closely just in case. Fen has been on a hunger strike again, like he was when Randy was admitted to hospital for 3 days. Having Boone’s wire crate moved back into house makes everything easier, as Boone isn’t constantly trying to initiate play and there is zero opportunity for him to get in the way while I am training with Fen.
I appreciate your input though. It’s always helps to know what others have experienced

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule I’m not convinced it’s aggression on Boone’s part. Although he has always been pushy, even @ 3 mo, I am inclined to think it may be related to Randy’s pain issues. But I am monitoring the dogs closely just in case. Fen has been on a hunger strike again, like he was when Randy was admitted to hospital for 3 days. Having Boone’s wire crate moved back into house makes everything easier, as Boone isn’t constantly trying to initiate play and there is zero opportunity for him to get in the way while I am training with Fen.
I appreciate your input though. It’s always helps to know what others have experienced
First I don't know Anatolians, but I agree with @Baymule. You say it is not aggression - right now it isn't, it's posturing ever so slightly to change the pack order. In my dogs - it's a changing of the guard since they are one pack / one breed. Many many years ago we had 4 Tervuren (another type of Belgian). Jedi was the pack leader. Whenever Jedi would enter a room Daisy (her daughter) would quietly leave the room and Jedi would lay down where Daisy had been. One day, Jedi was laying under the drafting table I was working at, Daisy walked in, Jedi got up and walked out, Daisy then layed down where Jedi had been. THAT WAS IT. A changing of the guard, of pack order. Daisy ruled with a velvet paw. From then on that was the order. No stiff legged posturing, no growl, no snap, no showing of teeth.
So - with what you've got - LGD and a herder they aren't going to speak the same language more than likely. I've seen a lot of breed specific communication through all the years I've trained. Guessing 80% herding breeds and 20% other groups. Things won't be as easy as I had it - and I was blest to be able to see it and realize what happened. You've got two different breeds and also from two different groups.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

I missed all the signs because I just didn’t know. But I have since learned, and have studied the Anatolian breed intensely. It’s very subtle, just a look, posture, and I missed it. We almost had Carson euthanized because of his pure terror and he had no way to tell us and was turning his fear on us.

I wanted to make you aware so you can watch and keep Fen safe. I’m in no way criticizing you. I’m in awe at how you are training Boone for a service dog, utterly amazing. I hope Fen returns to his happy self and Randy feels better.

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
So far, so good. Fen spent the first part of the night asleep by front door, as that is where he wants to be all the time, is out front with the ranch dogs. When I got up to go pee at midnight, they were cuddled together on Boone’s platform bed.
Boone woke me this morning to go out. Fen broke his hunger strike and ate breakfast for the first time in a week, then climbed into Boone’s crate to nap.
Boone’s food was on top of his crate, waiting for him to come back in. Both dogs are fed in their crates. Boone climbed in his crate, said good morning to Fen then turned around and waited for breakfast, which cracked me up. He got to eat by their toy basket instead.
I had a really bad fall the other night and was in quite a lot of pain. I landed on my left arm which hurts from wrist to shoulder, which had not yet fully healed. My bicep is especially sore. Its improved today but still pretty sore and I can’t stretch my arm out yet. And of course, my back 😬. Boone was following me at the time. We had just gathered eggs. When I went down, one broke, another rolled and the other two remained unbroken in my r hand. I’m sure it was out of great concern for me that he promptly sucked up the broken egg then chomped down the other.