Color Help

Becca'sBunnyBarn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
One of my new HL litters is growing up so fast! However I need a little help. I have a kit that looks to be the true Orange coloring, but has one small brown spot on his/her rump. Her sire is a tort, so I thought at first the kit was tort, but it is looking more orange. I own a orange doe and the kit looks very similar to her. I can post a pic soon if it will help. My question is "How do you tell a Orange apart from a Tort?"

Becca'sBunnyBarn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I suspect you may have a torted harlequin. You asked about telling the difference between an orange and a tort; the easiest way is to look at the insides of the ears. Dark interior on the ears is a Tort, light/white inside of the ear is an orange. You can get some smut on the ears/nose with an orange, but it won't have nearly the coverage of a tort. Your baby also has gray on the sides, which is tort coloring; an orange might be a lighter shade than the red on the back, but not grayish. The belly and underside of the tail on an orange will be whitish, on a tort, they are grayish.

That stray dark mark on the backside does look like it might be a harlequin mark. Are there any harlies or tri's in the background that you know of?

Becca'sBunnyBarn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Actually, @Bunnylady the coloring on the kit's side is whitish. Just bad quality of the pic I guess. I've had harlequins before, and they were covered with markings. This kit has one single tiny mark. @Hens and Roos your rabbits are sooooo cute!
No harleys in the background. Maybe some Tri's if I'm correct. I think the kit's ears are grayish though. Was kinda hoping for a orange :(