1. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. Official Poll: What Herd Animals Do You Own?
    (if you are logged in, this announcement can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Copper Bolus Dosing Question??

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by Emmetts Dairy, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Dec 13, 2010
    Emmetts Dairy

Emmetts Dairy Loving the herd life

So I went to Jeffers and they have Copasure..for cattle. Smallest dose they have is for 150-300lbs calf???? Manufacturer recomends not splitting capsule?? Soooo....

Am I missing something?? Is there a capsule for goats???
  2. Dec 13, 2010
    ksalvagno

ksalvagno Alpaca Master

No you just split the capsule. I'm sure they don't recommend it because you would want to give the whole bolus to a cow. For Nigerians, I just split it in thirds.
  3. Dec 13, 2010
    lilhill

lilhill Loving the herd life

4. Dec 13, 2010
    Emmetts Dairy

Ok...sooo..next question..how do you give it to them once split up??? And it is actually "rods" ??? Do you use a Balling gun???

Sorry...I never had to give it...so Im curious and If Im gonna I dont wanna do it wrong...

Thanks for the help!
  5. Dec 13, 2010
    jodief100

jodief100 True BYH Addict Golden Herd Member

I just ordered some myself and would love to have some additional guidance about the dosing.

I found something online that they recommended giving 1 gram of the copasure for every 22 pound of goat. From what I understood, you open the capsule, measure it out and put the rods into a new gelatin capsule. Is this correct? I ordered empty capsules and a balling gun along with the copasure. :idunno

I would prefer not having to measure out every capsule individually. I would either have to catch them all twice, once to weigh and the other to dose or I would have to have someone hold on while I measure. Really dont want to do either. :hide
  6. Dec 13, 2010
    aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie The Shepherd

There's a lady that sells them and she does 1.5 grams of Cu per gel cap to treat 33 lbs.

And Jodie, can't you just make up the boluses before you go out to do the herd? You can make all the gel caps the same dose, that way you know how many boluses you need per goat and can bolus them that way.
  7. Dec 13, 2010
    aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie The Shepherd

Yes, you use a balling gun.
  8. Dec 13, 2010
    greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Overrun with beasties

For our Boers, we just use the whole capsule. For any under 150 pounds, you'll have to divide it up.
  9. Dec 13, 2010
    Emmetts Dairy

Thats what I read too...I think Im gonna weigh and right that down and make the capsules..
  10. Dec 13, 2010
    babsbag

babsbag Loving the herd life

I have the copper sitting in a box waiting for me to do something with it :)

I don't have a balling gun and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did. I am going to try this with my goaties.

http://www.goatspots.com/copper.html

Marshmallows seem like more fum IMO. I will start taking them some with no copper in it to see if I can get them to eat it and go from there.

Mine are also low in zinc, but I have an injectable for that. Wish I had one for copper.