Copper Bolus Dosing Question??

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have to get some copper boluses as well. I know all my goats need it. My original herd of 8 and their kids don't seem to deficient at all but the new herd that I bought in Aug looks very deficient. They have been getting free choice trace minerals with copper and selenium but it isn't enough. I dosed them with Sel/Vit E a few weeks ago and now I need to get the copper. Is it just me or do goats require ALOT of work LOL!:barnie
Too bad I love the goats so much......I would have a much more lazy life without the whole crew ya know! :gig

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Calliopia said:
So.... I got a Jeffers GC for Christmas and everybody has been dosed...

Now what do I do with the other 24 capsules (L)

I REALLY wish these had come in smaller packages. Anybody need copper?
If your serious, I would definately consider purchasing a few of the capsules from you - I only have two does and HATE the thought of having to buy so many. I know they last, and, well, it's copper, so they don't expire, but still, that's one more thing I'd have to store and keep track of. You can PM me if you'd like - and if your were just kidding, that's ok too - but I figured it didn't hurt to ask.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
rebelINny said:
I have to get some copper boluses as well. I know all my goats need it. My original herd of 8 and their kids don't seem to deficient at all but the new herd that I bought in Aug looks very deficient. They have been getting free choice trace minerals with copper and selenium but it isn't enough. I dosed them with Sel/Vit E a few weeks ago and now I need to get the copper. Is it just me or do goats require ALOT of work LOL!:barnie
Too bad I love the goats so much......I would have a much more lazy life without the whole crew ya know! :gig
I suspect that there is a reason why there are no wild goat herds in most of the US and Canada....They may only thrive in areas with certain minerals in the water, soil, or trees. I wonder if they would do better on browse only....but how many of us have enough browse to support a goat population? Mine cleared out my pasture in a matter of weeks, now I have a lovely, grassy pasture that would be perfect for horses....when I had a horse, I battled tall weeds, saplings, brush, you name it.... :rolleyes:

It is so interesting to me that we never wormed our dairy goats or gave them mineral or goat feed when I was a kid, and never had issues with them at all. Ever. The well was tested a couple of years ago and it was very high in copper!

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So my girls got a 1/2 dose the day it arrived and a 1/2 dose a week later and OMG. The difference in their coats is already showing. So in less than 2 weeks I'm already seeing softer, thicker, shinier coats and the only change has been the addition of copper.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
do 1 cc per 60 lbs...cut off the tip of a luer slip syringe, pull the plunger down to where I need it for that goat, pour in the rods right out of the capsule, cap the open end of the syringe with probios paste...and shoot it into the back of their mouths.
So - can you make the probios paste out of the probios powder? I have so much powder it's rediculous & don't want to buy something I already have!

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes you can use the poweder!! I just did that!!! I used a little water...and very little molasses. If you put too much molasses it wont move nicely through the syringe. I had to get creative and I use a larger mouth drenching syringe but it worked well once I got the consistency down.

It took me a couple tries of mixing it the bowl before I actually added the copper....but It was a fabulous idea...and it worked great!!!!! Sooo easy!!!! It was like walking around giving paste!!! Easy peasy!!
Recomend it highly!!!

I wieghed and measured out everyones dose...sucked up the paste and added their copper indivdually!!! Very pleased with how it worked out!!

Thank you Kate!! Great Idea!!!

Hope it works out for you!

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Are you all doing this in addition to free choice loose minerals? I'm just not seeing signs of copper deficiency in my goats and wonder if this is necessary if they're getting enough from their minerals?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If they are getting enough from your minerals, then you don't need to copper bolus. The copper bolus would be done if you are seeing a deficiency or know your area is more deficient and you start doing it on some sort of schedule because of deficiency problems in the past.