Copper Bolus Dosing Question??

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We basically live in a limestone and shale quarry. There's not much of anything beneficial here and I have to supplement everything apparently. I knew we were selenium deficient and I didn't realize the difference the lack of copper was making until I added it in.

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. :)

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
I don't fuss with capsules.

I do 1 cc per 60 lbs...cut off the tip of a luer slip syringe, pull the plunger down to where I need it for that goat, pour in the rods right out of the capsule, cap the open end of the syringe with probios paste...and shoot it into the back of their mouths.
I just used this method yesterday - got to say it was easy! I made a paste from Red Cell and probios, cut the tip off the syringe, poured the rods in at that dose then put a little of the paste on the end. Carried the doses out all in a little cup with the tip up (my paste wasn't as pasty as it could have been) and figured out on the 2nd to last goat that they willingly would take it! I rangled 4 of them and shot it down their throats, then after sweating just held it out for the 5th to sniff and she sucked it right up! Rods and all! Tried it with the 6th and got the same response. :he At least they all got it now! I can't wait to see the difference in a few days/weeks. My little nubian buck sure needed it.

jason_mazzy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
how do you know when or if you have to bolus? I have goat pellets unlimited hay, and I give her minerals. if I gave her a bolus would it be an overdose?

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The bolus is given to boost the copper level in goats. The signs differ from goat to goat, but I could tell my little black nubain buck needed it because his black hair was starting to turn red and his winter coat hasn't come in very well. He's too thin and just not looking as nice as I'd like him to be.

Here's an article: http://www.jackmauldin.com/health/copper_deficiency.htm

pride&joy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Where can I find the capsules? I looked at Jeffers but could not find it?:hide

Latest posts