Corrective Hoof Trimming

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a buck who seems to walk on the sides of his hooves intead of the bottoms. I trimmed them yesterday and did the best I could to try and correct this. They weren't over grown just grown funny. I will try and get some pictures to better show you what I mean but I had to trim some from in between his toes, back, front, and flatten out the bottom. They still don't look great but they seem better. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I trim regularly. I don't know if this has just been something I've missed with him or I've done something to cause them to grow in this way. Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It would help if you can post pics of what you are dealing with. Is it's legs in the correct position when it walks? I.e. is the problem only with the way it holds it's feet?

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is he walking on the outside making it look like the inside is much longer, but when you go to trim you can't take anymore off the inside? That would be a mineral imbalance, fixable by curing the imbalance.

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've been watching him since his last trim. He seems to be more correct now. I'll just have to keep an eye on him. And get you some pics. He's a beautiful little guy. He is mini-Nubian but is looking rather stocky.