Coughing goat, please help!

mirandaleecon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
One of my does just started coughing yesterday. From what I could find online, allergies is common in goats and it seems like a lot of people around are having them now so I didn't think much of it. Today she just doesn't seem herself, wouldn't stand up to eat and when I finally got her to stand, she was slow moving, and she farted, which I've never heard before. She is a total pig normally, we named her Janice Chomplin because of it. And she is usually super playful.
When she coughed today, snot shot out of her nose, and of course she promptly wiped it on my pants.

We did just bring a new buck in to try to breed her two days ago. He had to stay in the same pen with her last night because he wouldn't stay contained in his pen. Not sure if that has anything to do with it though. The first day he wouldn't leave her alone but last night and today he could care less about her.

Anyway, any idea what's going on? I'm still new to goats so I'm not sure if I'm over thinking it or not...

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are not over thinking it. The best way to know that our goats are sick is to notice a change in behavior and good for you for seeing this. Goats that are chow hounds are ALWAYS chow hounds, that doesn't change when they are in season. And not getting up would have me very worried

Take her temperature, that is the next thing to do. Goats can get pneumonia fairly easily and it could be just a coincidence with the buck, or maybe not. Pastuerella lives in the upper respiratory tract of all goats and sometimes it just gets into the lungs, it is the most common kind of pneumonia. The buck may have a slightly different strain than her or who knows what, but really, I wouldn't blame him. It happens.

She will run a fever if she has this and you should treat her with oxcytetracyline. You can buy it as Duramycin at Tractor Supply. But please, take her temp. before you treat.

mirandaleecon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for the response! Is there any special type of thermometer to use? And I'm assuming to take it rectally?
And last question, I have penicillin g on hand, would that work as well? Or even tylan?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any digital thermometer, and yes rectally.

Pen will work. Have you ever given it? You know that you have to stick the goat and pull back on the plunger and make sure no blood is in the syringe? If you get it in a vein you can kill them...seriously.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
And I don't want to scare you, but don't hesitate to treat her. Goats are very susceptible to respiratory problems and they can go down fast.

mirandaleecon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I can take her temp but I haven't yet. I have a stethoscope so I will try to listen to her lungs but she can get jumpy if she thinks I'm doing anything but pet her. The buck seems fine, he was headbutting the fence to get to the lafies the last time I went out there.

I have not given them any injections but I will probably try to find a video or something to make sure I do it right. I have given my chickens SQ injections before so it's not entirely new...thank you all so much!

mirandaleecon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Her temp is 107 :O Are there any human fever reducers you can give a goat? I don't think we have any asprin...going to give her pen g asap.

Lungs sounded clear but I don't know what fluid would sound like...no raspiness...

mirandaleecon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I gave her the pen g. Hopefully that will get her through tonight. I'm going to call my vet in tha am to see if I can get some benamine...

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK, that is a little high :ep The banamine would have been great to have, my vet always has me give it when we suspect pneumonia, it helps with the remodeling of the lungs as well as reduce fever. I had a lot of kids with pneumonia this year and all of them responded to oxcytet almost overnight but I still have some lingering coughs. Think it is time for another round of drugs at my place.

For fever you can give aspirin or ibuprofen. According to Fiasco Farms the ibuprofen is double the human dose.

Hope she responds to the Pen :fl and good that you are calling your vet. You may need to switch to Nuflor if this is a tough bug. Praying for good news.