coughing goat?

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My pregnant boer doe has a long deep cough. Any ideas what it might be? or are there too many different things. Is there a cough that can be fatal?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
If it's lung worm, and enough scar tissue is formed, over a long enough time, it could be fatal.
A cough from untreated pneumonia could be fatal.
If it's dry where you are, it could be something as simple as allergies.

My first guess would be lung worm, IF she has no temperature.
I'd give her 1 cc per 25# of ivermectin, repeat in 10 days. If the coughing lets up, you'll know that was it.

USUALLY I'd recommend a fecal to make sure you use the right dewormer on the worm problem you're having BUT....

Fecals for lungworm are 'iffy' b/c the eggs are so different from stomach / intestinal worms, even experienced vets miss them at times....so if I suspect lung worm I go ahead and treat for it.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Lung worm treatment here is 1ml per 10lbs of liquid Safeguard daily for 7 days, stop for 7 and treat again for 7. Wait 14 days and test. Lung worm is a pain to test for because you need to spin it down, or let it settle for 8 hours, then use a pipet to draw up some of the liquid from the bottom of the champagne glass liquid and test it on a slide.

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Might not be lungworm. My doeling was coughing and when we took her to the vet, it was diagnosed as a trachial infection. Now the infection is gone, no worms, but she still coughs throughout the day. The vet thinks she is allergic to alfalfa hay. :rolleyes:

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced lungworms in their goats? I am curious what the effects are. "ZATSENOUGHCRITTERS4ME" asked how her pellets are. Do lungworms effect their stool? cause fever? How often will she cough? If anyone has info on lungworm it would be appreciated.

I was going to test her pellets last night but I didn't have any epson salt. I probably wouldn't have found anything anyway, as my microscope is a piece of junk, but I was going to look anyway!

She acts perfectly normal but for the cough. It has kind of a hacking sound at the end of the cough. Her pellets are completely normal or I think they are normal, they look like any other goats .

Maybe she is just allergic to being pregnant.(kidding)

She stands around staring at nothingness a lot. But I do that too.:caf

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would talk to your vet about it. That could be a lot of things including lung worm, pneumonia, coccidia or allergies. Having a fecal done would be a good place to start. One of my goats had pneumonia and his stool was normal and he acted normal except for a cough. I took him to the vet, vet diagnosed pneumonia and gave him a shot of Nuflor. That took care of it. Fecal was negative.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
kevin said:
She acts perfectly normal but for the cough. It has kind of a hacking sound at the end of the cough. Her pellets are completely normal or I think they are normal, they look like any other goats .

Maybe she is just allergic to being pregnant.(kidding)

She stands around staring at nothingness a lot. But I do that too. :caf
The "stands around staring" part sounds like pneumonia to me, if it's out of the ordinary for her..

If she's still with us and hasn't gotten any better, take a temperature.. If she's running a fever at all, definitely start her on antibiotics.

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She is still with us. her cough is no worse nor better.

A goat can become immune to dewormers right. the po's used safeguard. She was just dewormed the 28th of Oct. with safeguard.

If she has lungworms, the safeguard should take care of it, right? unless she is immune to it?

Can I use ivermectin for the second dose?