coughing goat?

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
And you don't need to take her to the vet for a fecal, just collect some fresh poop in a zip lock bag and take it to the vet. Ask for a parasite count including cocci, the typical worms, AND a lung worm screening. No point having to go back for each type of test. The whole thing should be less than $30.00.

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Where is your vet? I called the vet and they quoted me $75 min. to do poop samples.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Are there other vets in your area that you could call? Even if they are a little bit of a distance. $75 sounds high unless they don't do their own fecals and send them off to a lab. Even then, that is high. You may want to find out what all they are doing for that $75. See if they are running more than one test and how much is it for each test.

One of my vets sends all her fecals to the state lab and that runs about $50 per test. The other vet runs their own and it is about $25. Some worms have their own test so if they are running more than one type of fecal test, that may be the reason for the $75. If you are checking for parasites like crypto and giardia, those are tested as separate tests in addition to the regular fecal test.

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
O.K. It really hurts to say this-I am flat broke right now-. I just have to be a vet on my own for a while till i can find work. I can buy feed and vaccines but if I want lab tests done I will have to do them myself.:barnie

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Kevin, it sounds like you need to do your own fecals, it is not expensive to buy the equipment, and then you really can be your own vet in this area. Ebay often has microscopes for as little as $1.00 with $10. shipping, you are set, then all you need are empty film cannisters (which are free at Costco/Sams) and a few slides. All in all, you could be set up for years with a $30.00 investment.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
And if you don't feel you can do fecals, call the nearest vet school, they will often do them for $3.-10.00.