1. 10,000 members - Guess the Day and Hour and win!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. Official BYH caption Contest #2 - 29 July 2014 - Pic by Pioneer Chicken
    Click HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. BYH Featured Thread: Keeping coyotes away....?
    CLICK HERE!

4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

5. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

Cow Treats?

Discussion in 'Feed, Forages and Pastures/Rangeland - Cattle' started by hooligan, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Jan 30, 2010
    hooligan

hooligan Chillin' with the herd

Ok, so horses are priviliged to have their own types of treats...but can cows eat those too?
    I have heard that sheep can not eat them due to the copper content but wasn't sure what other farm animals couldn't...anyone know?
  2. Jan 30, 2010
    mommy_2_parks

mommy_2_parks Chillin' with the herd

I don't know anything about horse or sheep treats, but my cows love range cubes. They will try to get into our coat pockets to get them. :rolleyes:
  3. Jan 30, 2010
    jhm47

jhm47 Loving the herd life

Range cubes, or just plain old grain that they like. I would also guess that if they like horse treats, they would be fine too. Just make sure to limit them so they are actually treats. Children who have unlimited access to candy or ice cream soon cease to consider it anything special. Cows are somewhat like children in this sense.
  4. Jan 31, 2010
    amysflock

amysflock Loving the herd life

Apples, greens and some vegetables work, too. I just make sure to cut the pieces into small enough chunks that they won't choke, especially with apples and squash. Ours get swiss chard, spinach, kale, quartered apples, chunked squash, zucchini and pumpkin, etc. They also love grain, but beware the molasses content, as grain can make otherwise docile animals into spoiled, hard to manage monsters.
  5. Jan 31, 2010
    jhm47

jhm47 Loving the herd life

We routinely let our cows glean the windfall apples from under our trees. They eat them whole, and we've never had any problem with them choking. They pick up a whole apple, raise their heads into the air and chomp down. The juice sometimes runs down their chins and they get a heavenly expression on their faces. Funny to watch.
  6. Jan 31, 2010
    JerseyXGirl

JerseyXGirl Chillin' with the herd

Mine loooovvveee bread. I don't give but a slice to each one and usually stuff like whole wheat, 12 grain, those kinds. We get the bread for free so makes for a good treat for my chickens and such.
  7. Feb 1, 2010
    Sara

Sara Chillin' with the herd

Our cows love bread items as well. Sometimes my father-in-law brings home rolls home from where he works and the cows think they have hit the lottery.

My son's show heifer loves carrots, apples, bananas. She's not afraid to eat. lol
  8. Feb 15, 2010
    Nicki

Nicki Exploring the pasture

I have tried several types of vegetables as well as horse treats and none of my cows will touch them but they do love bread.
  9. Feb 15, 2010
    Ranch Girl

Ranch Girl Overrun with beasties

I made horse treats, and I fed them to our milk cow, our goats and what ever else! After that Betsy ( the milk cow ) would wait for me to come!!!
  10. Sep 11, 2010
    purecountrycow

purecountrycow Exploring the pasture

Has anybody ever heard of giving your beef cow a beer once a day? I heard about it and they say it relieves stress and you will get better marbling meat.