dairy goat for cold climate?

homesteadinmama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi there I am wanting milk for my family of 6. Not sure about breeds that tolerate new england winters. How many goats should I'd have for us to have milk and chz? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! :)

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We keep our goats inside the barn for the winter here in VT. We have a mixture, oberhasli/alpine, alpine, Nubian, a mininubian, NubianX's. They all do well. I think it depends on how well the goats you get milk. I would start out with a few and see how you like milking. I am milking 5 right now. I milked 3 last year and this year got a machine. Takes less time to milk the 5 than handmilking 3 last year. I do hand milk from time to time to keep them used to it and to see who produces what. My mini nubian produces as much as the oberhasli/alpines. I like the Nubian and Nubian X's for the butterfat content. We staggered breedings over a few months so the milk would not run out. Where are you located?

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
I know that there are a few of us in New England, and between us there are a few different breeds. I have Nigerians and Nigerian/Pygmy crosses.

Personally, I am looking to start a breeding program to get the "perfect" herd. I want to introduce some kiko into the bloodlines for more self sufficientness(they can bulk on primarily just forage), Angora to give my herd thicker coats(better for the N.E. winters), and last but certainly not least, I will be talking with a friend who has either Toggs or Aplines, about setting my nigi-pyg bucklings up with his girls for his next season's freshenings(hopefully we would get 1-3 mini-dairy doelings from him).

Edited to add: Nigerians also have high butterfat content milk, which can be made higher by feeding at least 1 cup of BOSS(Black Oil Sunflower Seed) per day. ;)

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
I know that there are a few of us in New England, and between us there are a few different breeds. I have Nigerians and Nigerian/Pygmy crosses.

Personally, I am looking to start a breeding program to get the "perfect" herd. I want to introduce some kiko into the bloodlines for more self sufficientness(they can bulk on primarily just forage), Angora to give my herd thicker coats(better for the N.E. winters), and last but certainly not least, I will be talking with a friend who has either Toggs or Aplines, about setting my nigi-pyg bucklings up with his girls for his next season's freshenings(hopefully we would get 1-3 mini-dairy doelings from him).

Edited to add: Nigerians also have high butterfat content milk, which can be made higher by feeding at least 1 cup of BOSS(Black Oil Sunflower Seed) per day. ;)
If this is a dairy herd, you're going to have a heck of a time getting good udders and high production back onto them after breeding in the Kiko and Angora. It would be so nice if there was one goat that could do everything lol.

LaManchas do fine in the cold. The bonus with them is that they don't have big ears to get frostbitten. Just had to find an excuse to push them, I love my Munchies. :D

homesteadinmama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question but can you get butter from goats or only cows?........we are a butter lovin family. I am reading a book about dairy goats only on chapter 1, but it says the fat stays suspended in the milk vs. cow milk seperates easily.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
Livinwright Farm said:

If this is a dairy herd, you're going to have a heck of a time getting good udders and high production back onto them after breeding in the Kiko and Angora. It would be so nice if there was one goat that could do everything lol.

LaManchas do fine in the cold. The bonus with them is that they don't have big ears to get frostbitten. Just had to find an excuse to push them, I love my Munchies. :D
I am a dreamer, I know, but I know that in every breed there are the occassional "WOW" goats that have great udders... I am just hoping to find someone willing to let me breed my Pup to their outstanding doe... It might be an almost impossible hope, but oh well. :D

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am in Alaska, I have Nigierians and they have done really well. I did not have a heated building for them and they all turned out great. I have heard Nubians don't handle our cold winters here, but not sure about New Englands.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
homesteadinmama said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question but can you get butter from goats or only cows?........we are a butter lovin family. I am reading a book about dairy goats only on chapter 1, but it says the fat stays suspended in the milk vs. cow milk seperates easily.
ep, you sure can make butter with goat's milk! I would assume the higher the butterfat content, the better.
http://www.webexhibits.org/butter/doityourself.html
This recipe says heavy whipping cream, but later on, under various options it mentions a temperature for goat's milk. ;)

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm wrote:

Angora to give my herd thicker coats(better for the N.E. winters),

I've had Angoras and they do not tolerate wet weather at all. I wouldn't think the addition of Angora would help for warmer coats. Angora Pygmies (Pygoras) are awfully cute tho. My daughter bred a chocolate colored angora buck to her pygmies and the babies were adorable.

Hey how does the quote button work I can't seem to figure it out!!!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
PattySh said:
Livinwright Farm wrote:

Angora to give my herd thicker coats(better for the N.E. winters),

I've had Angoras and they do not tolerate wet weather at all. I wouldn't think the addition of Angora would help for warmer coats. Angora Pygmies (Pygoras) are awfully cute tho. My daughter bred a chocolate colored angora buck to her pygmies and the babies were adorable.

Hey how does the quote button work I can't seem to figure it out!!!
Oh, they wouldn't be out when it is wet out(just like my current herd). Yes, Pygoras are absolute cuties!
You should just be able to click where it says Quote at the bottom of someone's comment... is it not working for you?