dairy goat for cold climate?

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You can make butter from goat milk. The problem is, that goat milk is naturally homogenized (like they do to store bought milk so the cream won't rise) and very little cream rises. Like a few tablespoons per gallon. So, unless you have a cream separator machine, it's going to take a really long time (or a lot of goats) to save up enough to make butter.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
You can make butter from goat milk. The problem is, that goat milk is naturally homogenized (like they do to store bought milk so the cream won't rise) and very little cream rises. Like a few tablespoons per gallon. So, unless you have a cream separator machine, it's going to take a really long time (or a lot of goats) to save up enough to make butter.
From the bit of research that I have been doing since the OP posted the question about goat's milk butter, I have found that the average refrigerator wait for adequate seperation is 3-5 days. Then skim the cream and use the remaining milk like whole milk or for making cheese. The skimmed cream can be stored in a container(fias co farm used a 2 qt container) in the freezer while waiting for more cream to seperate & be added. Repeat the process until the freezer container is full, then thaw to correct temp and start the process.
My guess is that it would take roughly a week and a half to collect one 2 qt container of cream. If you don't mind the wait, I am sure it will be worth it.

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Toggenburgs...of course :)

My barn is open all winter and the girls go out in the snow. They get thick long coats in the cold weather and shed out in early spring. My buck doesn't shed his long outer coat, just his thick undercoat. I may clip him this yr...

The 3 I milked last yr ... 2 gave me a gallon each and my FF was under 1/2 gallon, but that was probably due to here tiny teats being ungraspable...word?

Tug Hill area of Northern NY....bbbrrrrr and holy snowfall!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
From the bit of research that I have been doing since the OP posted the question about goat's milk butter, I have found that the average refrigerator wait for adequate seperation is 3-5 days. Then skim the cream and use the remaining milk like whole milk or for making cheese. The skimmed cream can be stored in a container(fias co farm used a 2 qt container) in the freezer while waiting for more cream to seperate & be added. Repeat the process until the freezer container is full, then thaw to correct temp and start the process.
My guess is that it would take roughly a week and a half to collect one 2 qt container of cream. If you don't mind the wait, I am sure it will be worth it.
Hooey. You MIGHT get a tablespoon per day, MAYBE two...per goat. It takes FOREVER to collect cream via this method (I tried once, finally fed what little I had to the cats). You'd NEED a cream separator.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Livinwright Farm said:
Hooey. You MIGHT get a tablespoon per day, MAYBE two...per goat. It takes FOREVER to collect cream via this method (I tried once, finally fed what little I had to the cats). You'd NEED a cream separator.
Yup, try a couple of months. I did it and found that if I used gallon containers I could skim a couple of Tbsp of heavy cream into a container that I kept in the freezer. Then I thawed it out when I had a quart and made a pathetic little bit of white butter. It was a novelty but not worth the effort. There is a reason why goat butter sells online for something like $15 per pound.

http://www.amazon.com/Meyenberg-Goat-Milk-Products-European/dp/B001T3GFH4

If you want butter, you need a Jersey or Gurnsey cow.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
freemotion said:
helmstead said:
Livinwright Farm said:
Yup, try a couple of months. I did it and found that if I used gallon containers I could skim a couple of Tbsp of heavy cream into a container that I kept in the freezer. Then I thawed it out when I had a quart and made a pathetic little bit of white butter. It was a novelty but not worth the effort. There is a reason why goat butter sells online for something like $15 per pound.

http://www.amazon.com/Meyenberg-Goat-Milk-Products-European/dp/B001T3GFH4

If you want butter, you need a Jersey or Gurnsey cow.
I'll give it a try anyways... I don't have much to do other than feeding, cleaning, and routine maintenance here... I might even try making a cream sperator :D hmm... ... yeah!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
I will say, the first thing I posted about making butter, was using non-seperated cream... so using fresh goat milk should be more than fine. just keep running it in the food processor until the glob is seperated from the buttermilk. ;)

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry raw goats milk will not turn into butter nor will raw cow's milk, with both types of milk you need to use just the cream the collects on the top of the milk (or a seperator). It's the reason I have a Jersey/Holstein heifer in my barn that I plan to breed very soon. We've raised her from a calf. No way I want to clean all the parts of a seperator so that's where the cow comes in :). Once you have the cream, a jar, a blender, food processor, mixer or ice cream maker all will do the deed. With goats milk the butter will be white unless you add coloring.