dairy goat for cold climate?

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
I would have mentioned Nigerian Dwarf as being my preferred drinking milk, however, many do not view tham as a DAIRY breed, definitely not as a standard dairy breed.
Everything other than that part is my personal experience... and even that was not a "I don't know the answer, but..."

Most of what we(as people) decide, is based on what we hear from others... If you grow up hearing from your family, friends, and neighbors that chicken feet are not food, odds are that you will never try them for yourself(chinese favorite, btw). Or if you hear from enough people that a certain auto body deals crookedly, you probably wouldn't bring your vehicle there to be checked out/ worked on.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
You misunderstood me, LR.

I didn't want to come across as unkind, or you take my comment personally....because that's not my intent.... but I suppose if you can list your pet peeve, I'm ok saying mine. :D

My pet peeve is when someone has no personal experience with an issue, still offers what sounds like a knowledgeable opinion, based on research alone.

You stated Toggenburg milk tastes 'better' - according to what you're told - taste a glass of Nubian milk (or Nigerian) and then chase it w/ Toggenburg milk. Then, you'll have a knowledgeable opinion.

You stated you 'want' Nigies or Pygs for cheese making - Any standard breed milk will 'make' cheese, Nubians, being higher in butterfat, are best of them, but ANY of them will make cheese...and it takes a LOT of milk to make cheese.
I'd much rather use my standard girls for cheesemaking....that's based on the fact that I have milked both a pygmy and a Nubian.

I am not a sheeple, I do my own research and make up my own mind 90% of the time. I won't eat chicken feet simply b/c it's nasty (to me). The Chinese can eat 'em all they want to.

On a side note, I'd read in the past where you said you had made butter from goat's milk in a food processor...I even told someone they could try that, based on your post.
Now, if I'm reading correctly, that's just a theory you have, but it actually not a method you've tried???

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
You misunderstood me, LR.

I didn't want to come across as unkind, or you take my comment personally....because that's not my intent.... but I suppose if you can list your pet peeve, I'm ok saying mine. :D

My pet peeve is when someone has no personal experience with an issue, still offers what sounds like a knowledgeable opinion, based on research alone.

You stated Toggenburg milk tastes 'better' - according to what you're told - taste a glass of Nubian milk (or Nigerian) and then chase it w/ Toggenburg milk. Then, you'll have a knowledgeable opinion.

You stated you 'want' Nigies or Pygs for cheese making - Any standard breed milk will 'make' cheese, Nubians, being higher in butterfat, are best of them, but ANY of them will make cheese...and it takes a LOT of milk to make cheese.
I'd much rather use my standard girls for cheesemaking....that's based on the fact that I have milked both a pygmy and a Nubian.

I am not a sheeple, I do my own research and make up my own mind 90% of the time. I won't eat chicken feet simply b/c it's nasty (to me). The Chinese can eat 'em all they want to.

On a side note, I'd read in the past where you said you had made butter from goat's milk in a food processor...I even told someone they could try that, based on your post.
Now, if I'm reading correctly, that's just a theory you have, but it actually not a method you've tried???
I am not sure how else I could have taken it, but personally, especially where the comments were directed to me... :/

It is not that I "want" Nigerians of Pygmys, I HAVE Nigerians and am expecting Pygmy cross babies in March thanks to a breeding with our ex-buck & her Pygmy doe... so no need to want. ;)

I said that I have heard (from those who have Nubians, Saanens, Alpines, Obers, and Toggs) that they prefer the flavor of Togg milk for drinking out of the standard dairy breeds. I do plan on doing a blind taste test at somepoint this spring, but it will require collecting milk from all of my friends' herds, as I only have Nigerians... well 8 Nigerians and 2 Nigerian crosses.

I stated that Nigerians have a higher butterfat content milk than any of the standard dairy breeds, which is a fact, not an opinion... so for cheese making, their milk is the optimum choice. However, out of the standard dairy breeds, you are correct that Nubian is higher. If you had a couple Mini-Nubians(Nubian x Nigerian or Pygmy) then you would have a better butterfat quantity... with teats not much different from the Nubians in size.

I have made goats milk butter in a food processor, following the exact directions found on the website that I posted on one of the threads here, after I had tried the method myself. It does work, and quite well. I have had many members here tell me that I might get as much as 1 Tablespoon of butter from 1 quart of milk, but that is far from the truth, and I do not own a cream seperator. It comes out snow white in color unless you have them on the lushest of grass and hay... IE: those that have herds in Ireland, should see some natural yellowish color to the butter.

I was not accusing you of being a sheeple, and I sure hope you wouldn't imply that I was one. As I said, we(mankind) make most decisions on what to buy, eat, or where to bring something for service based on what we hear from others about those things. If you were Chinese, I am 98% positive that you would have no thoughts towards chicken feet as being nasty... here in America we(all of us to one extent or another) have become a bit picky with what we deem edible... our throw-aways are a priceless feast to 3/4 of the people in this world.

None of what I have said has been said in a mean hearted way or with even the slightest bit of snarkiness... so I hope you haven't/won't take it that way.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Taste is subjective to the person doing the tasting. So any comments regarding xxx goat breed has the best milk for drinking is an opinion of the poster only.

It is also fact that you can milk any goat and that any goat milk can be made into cheese. You will also get a higher volume of milk from a standard size dairy breed, but a nigerian dwarf isn't anything to sneeze at. While pygmies can be milked (and I have them and do) they do not produce the same volume of milk as dairy breeds.

Mini Nubians are a Nubian x Nigerian Dwarf (not pygmy)
Kinders are a Nubian x Pygmy

Latest posts