Damaged Ears - what to do?

big mami

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi,
My misbehaving LGD puppy "played" with our new lamb and wound up removing some wool/skin from part of it's ears. I don't want a vet bill. Should I put on neosporin? Fly strike ointment? Should I bandage? Leave it alone? Just happened today.
ear.jpg

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
We use peroxide, bluekote, or Underwood Horse Medicine on those kind of wounds. Should be fine, just watch for infection!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
The wounds should heal up just fine with minimal interference. I'd clean the ears off well and spray either with Blu-Kote or Alushield (not sure if that is the exact name, it's a silver antiseptic spray). I wouldn't bandage, you want the wounds to be able to drain properly.

We had a similar situation earlier this year. My sister's LGD puppy got in a pen with a couple moms and their babies and proceeded to chew the ear off one of the babies. I kept the stump covered for a while due to the frigid temperatures, but the lamb didn't seem to notice the damage.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I usually leave wounds alone. The lanolin in the wool heals them over pretty quick. If it looks too bad I will spray some iodine.

big mami

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Now one ear looks bad and has pus. I'm determined not to pay for a vet. I'm thinking I could lance it and flush it with betadine solution? Then would I put neosporin or would I do the blukote? Can I get penicillin from a feed store? Thoughts?

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dog bites are notorious for getting infected.

Put warm compresses on the wounds for 3-5 minutes, 2-3 times a day. I wouldn't put anything on the wounds, you want them to be able to drain.

Penicillin might not be a bad idea. I'd do 5 days/doses.