Damp hay

Sean A.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi I am new to storing hay. I have alfalfa/grass mix hay. I store it in a DIY made shed on top of a pallet. my concern is that in the morning we get fog which has caused the hay bale to get damp. Will this damage my hay bale? I've attached a pic of my shed.

Attachments

• 20161101_172442.jpg
    20161101_172442.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 175

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
How much are you storing and what are you feeding it to and how much are you going through? If it is only a bale or two, just throw a smaller tarp over it to keep the dampness off. Or use a tarp on the front of the shed to prevent the dampness from settling in on it. If you are storing very much, it will only get damp on the outside edges and if you are feeding it a bale a day, or so, it probably won't get damp enough to hurt. I would just throw a smaller tarp over it to stop the dampness. If the hay is made right, the dampness won't be able to cause much problem inside the bale, but if it gets real damp on the outside and you are not using it very fast, it could cause some mold. Don't know where you are located and whether damp weather is the norm, or if it is just a certain time of year or what.

Sean A.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Located in northern, ca. feeding goats. just gets fogy around this time of year. doesn't go fast. 1 bale almost 3 months

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@babsbag is in your neck of the woods so I think she will understand your weather and needs better.

Damp hay can get moldy quick and that can kill a goat. Maybe you could get smaller bales.

3 months. WOW I can't imagine being able to go that long.

BTW Welcome to BYH from NC! :frow

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH from N. California. As mentioned by @Southern by choice hay can get moldy quite easily and it can kill your goat, they don't handle moldy had well at all. I notice that clumps I drop on the damp ground in my hay shelter can be moldy within a few day. If you were feeding a bale every day or so I wouldn't worry about it but 3 months is a long time. I would put a tarp across the front of the shed or over the hay bale and then leave it open during the day when the sun is out.

Sean A.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If I put a tarp across the front of shed could I just leave that up all day long?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. You want some air circulation so that any moisture that does get in there can evaporate. Humidity is humidity and since it's not a climate controlled environment in the shed, if it's real humid, it will be real humid in the shed as well. The purpose of the shed and the tarp is to keep it (hay) out of the reach of direct contact with water/moisture (rain/fog). So while you can put a tarp across the front, you'd be better served to place the tarp directly on/over the hay bale and remove it as often as possible when you have dry sunny weather to let any moisture trapped inside out. Just monitor the bale for mold development.

Sean A.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I will do that tomorrow

Sean A.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They're 3 string bales. About 4'L x 2'W. feeding just 2 goats rite now. it's a alfalfa/grass mix hay