Carport Barn

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
We are getting a 20x32 carport (deposit was already made on it) that we are converting into a barn (we are putting wood siding on it) and I was looking for ideas on designing the inside. Here is a diagram of where the doors are going to be but other than that it is fair game.

carportbarn.png

In this diagram I have the doors at 8', but I'm not sure if they're going to be 6' or 8'. There is going to be an 8' gap between the fence and the barn, I was thinking in that space I can put a couple pens and then also put in doors on the side? My mom said we can put doors wherever as long as it is symmetrical.

Here is what I need:
* Feed/storage room (enough for at least 50-60 bales of hay...my 8x10 "feed shack" can only do like 30-40 bales to give you an idea)
* At least one ram pen and one lamb pen
* Open area for the ewes
* Sheep chute where I can include my scale

(I don't necessarily need a jug; I can build panels so that way the jug is only temporary.)

I was thinking maybe an 8x10 feed room in the bottom right corner and then two pens next to it? I was also thinking maybe having a long wall in the feed area so I can do fenceline feeding so I don't even have to get in with the sheep and be squished while they mob me for hay/grain. Kind of like this:

2289373861_77755ce160.jpg

Any other ideas to include in the barn? Or layout designs?

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Will both doors be fully closeable? Weathertight? Is there vapor barrier on the inside of the roof to prevent condensation? What direction do the doors face, and what direction does most of your weather come from?

I do like the idea of a fenceline feeder. How many sheep will be eating out of it? How much room (width) will you need for each sheep?

LeviS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How tall is your building? If its tall enough you could have a loft of some sort, which would open up a lot of room. May be something to consider since you can always make a barn wider but it would be a bugger to make it taller. :lol:
Will both doors be fully closeable? Weathertight? Is there vapor barrier on the inside of the roof to prevent condensation? What direction do the doors face, and what direction does most of your weather come from?
x2

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Barn lofts , especially for hay storage ( spontaneous cumbustion )are number one issue in barn fires and animal occupant losses. :eek: Also, making a barn weathertight and with vapor barriers will case the inside of the roof to condensate and drip water causing the prefect environment for mold on feed and other organic items. Good ventilation at the eves and highest point of the roof is highly recommended for this as well as eliminating off gasses from urine , feces, and other animal odors. :caf

Last edited:

LeviS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Barn lofts , especially for hay storage ( spontaneous cumbustion )are number one issue in barn fires and animal occupant losses. :eek: Also, making a barn weathertight and with vapor barriers will case the inside of the roof to condensate and drip water causing the prefect environment for mold on feed and other organic items. Good ventilation at the eves and highest point of the roof is highly recommended for this as well as eliminating off gasses from urine , feces, and other animal odors. :caf
The same could be said about storing hay inside anywhere, but done properly its a great tool.

Just to clarify weather tight and ventilation can be taken as two different things. Personal example, snow comes in sideways here always from the northwest, my pole barn that was (finally) constructed right before the snow started to fly, was not weather proofed. I had snow flying in, though that 1/4" (if that) gap, landing right on my kidding pens, which was obviously a major concern. I was told it was ventilation to have that space there but I certainly don't think that now.

Know where your weather normally comes from and plan ventilation and weather proofing from there. It's great that you are researching this before building, getting different views and experiences to make an informed decision. :)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
The same could be said about storing hay inside anywhere, but done properly its a great tool.

Just to clarify weather tight and ventilation can be taken as two different things. Personal example, snow comes in sideways here always from the northwest, my pole barn that was (finally) constructed right before the snow started to fly, was not weather proofed. I had snow flying in, though that 1/4" (if that) gap, landing right on my kidding pens, which was obviously a major concern. I was told it was ventilation to have that space there but I certainly don't think that now.

Know where your weather normally comes from and plan ventilation and weather proofing from there. It's great that you are researching this before building, getting different views and experiences to make an informed decision. :)

You are absolutely right. A barn can be weather tight and still have proper ventilation.
And sheepgirl is quite the carpenter, so I know her building is going to be nice.

My wife has a picture on facebook of a building built around one of those carports. I'll see if I can get it.

LeviS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Right now my barn is still empty for the most part, last year I had all panels so that was all taken down but Ill try and get a drawing up of my planned layout also.

My wife has a picture on facebook of a building built around one of those carports. I'll see if I can get it.
I look forward to seeing it, I love see other people's layouts. They had a major influence on my building plans. :cool: