Dewormer Question

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I saw what I believe are pinworms in one of the goats fecal. I have a goat dewormer medicated pellet feed and wasn't sure if it would actually treat this worm. The active ingredient is Morantel Tartrate. I don't want to give her a wormer that doesn't work and I also don't want to have to discard any milk if I can avoid it (which this dewormer says no discard). It lists the scientific names of the worms it treats but I can't find the scientific name for pinworms. Any help is appreciated.

Steve

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I saw what I believe are pinworms in one of the goats fecal. I have a goat dewormer medicated pellet feed and wasn't sure if it would actually treat this worm. The active ingredient is Morantel Tartrate. I don't want to give her a wormer that doesn't work and I also don't want to have to discard any milk if I can avoid it (which this dewormer says no discard). It lists the scientific names of the worms it treats but I can't find the scientific name for pinworms. Any help is appreciated.

Steve

Did you see them under a microscope or just in the poop? If you saw them in the poop they are usually tapeworms. We use either Safeguard/Panacur or Valbazen to treat them. We use a syringe and dose them with a "goat" dose which is way higher than the horse dose by weight. Typically we see them in younger goats and while they aren't "good" all the reputable articles say they aren't the huge concern that many other parasites are to goats, like barberpole etc.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a pic on my article- did it look like this? Scroll to bottom.
http://www.backyardherds.com/resources/understanding-famacha-fecal-analysis.56/
The goat in the pic had high Barberpole count and a variety of other eggs in the fecal.
Threadworms look like this- they can cause serious issues in a goat.
Barberpole if looked at closely will have red in it.

Tapeworm (sorry I don't have a pic) will be usually small segments that look like flat small grains of rice.

This is where fecal analysis comes in FAMACHA is only good for the Barberpole. Too many rely on eyelid check and they miss things that are sucking the life out of their goat.

When using Safegard it must be used for a minimum of 3 days in a row- yes there is milk withdrawal. Wormers work differently.
If you do 1 day you will just build resistance.

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I should have tried to take a picture. I did look through as many of the worming threads as I could before I posted the question (which was why it was 11:30 p.m.). I didn't see a picture that looked like what I saw.

The worm was white, and maybe 1/16th of an inch long. Looked rounded and not flat like a tapeworm. It was visible in the fecal matter she left for me on the stand.

Thanks for the help. I will be taking in a sample so I don't give her an ineffective wormer, and will be starting to shop for a microscope. Haven't used one of those in 30 years and hadn't ever planned to after science class, but here we go.

Latest posts