Deworming kids and doe

Mason&lily

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm going to worm my two kids and there momma because it's time to worm them and in also bringing in another kid; there half sister. I'm giving them orally, what's the best way to worm then I'm not worried about the two kids there super friendly since I had them since they were born. But there mom was kind a of a touch me not but she has gotten to the point where she lets me pet her and groom her. But i don't know how she will handle the worming and I don't wanna force her since I've worked so hard to make her friendly, is there another way to give it to her orally, like put it in something she" ll eat like apple sauce. And then her kids half sister I am buying but she is wild since they never messed with her when she was first born but I want to worm her since she will be coming to my house any suggestions for worming a hard to handle baby?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can certainly try the applesauce. Sometimes though you just have to do what you have to do for the animal. You want to make sure the animal gets the full and correct dose.

There are goats that are wild and you still have to do what they don't like, such as de-worming and hoof trimming. Either they learn to trust you or they don't. Giving treats after such things may help and they may learn that they do get a reward for their moment of discomfort.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have sheep and not goats...but thinking the worming and trimming hooves is pretty close. From what I'm reading, you have a small herd like us. That makes things easier :) What we did was first tame our first sheep and with treats and sitting and singing in the paddock with them on a chair (well...it was just me...DH wasn't sure about the singing part...LOL), it took only a few hours before I had them tame and I was able not only pet them all over, but pick up feet. Good treat are those Nilla wafers or honey cinnamon graham crackers ;)

Your life will get not only easier caring for your animals, but oh so much more enjoyable :)

There will be times during birthing or illness where you will need to help or treat them. Good to have them tame quickly before you have to deal with flighty animals that need care!!! Plus the regular maintenance with hoof trimming and care if they get something stuck in there, worming, vaccine shots....whatever comes up. We now have a tilt table due to our aging backs, but before that we tipped them on their butts and that worked well and a little tidbit of a treat, and all went well. Quiet, gentle, and take your time and it should go well.

If you have a holding pen or small stall to put them in one at a time with treats, that also makes it easier. A calm spouse or friend to help you works best too, but if you are alone....treats...the way to a man's heart is food....for livestock...heart, head and soul with treats....LOL! Good luck :)

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
p.s..... for worming, we use a drench gun and with kids who are still nursing, easy peasy...they nurse it...just give it slowly :) Actually, I do it slowly for the adults too since I don't want any choking. Thing about a drench gun instead of apple sauce is that with the drench gun you know exactly how much they are getting and under dosing is not a good thing, and over dosing is also not a good thing...you know exactly how much they have had for their weight. Just be sure to hold the drench gun over their tongue to be sure it goes in the right place and give it slowly...I dread choking...I am a wimp! With applesauce, if they love it and you are sure they will eat it all, and give it one at a time, no reason that wouldn't work.

I encourage you to do the quick tame method....life with critters is so awesomely great!!!! :) Let us know how it goes!

Latest posts