Do I have a problem?

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
As you may or may not be aware, Galadriel, my now 2 week old doeling had it particularly rough after being born. She had been doing very well lately but last night she seemed a little poky. I figured she had just woken up. She had spent the majority of the day in her crate, but hadn't pooped. She didn't poop yesterday and I haven't seen her poop today. She doesn't seem interested in eating much or suckling. I figured maybe constipation. So, I have her roaming the house today. She was poky but then went into typical goat scamper and exploration. Still not interested in sucking or food, except trying the tea plant and a few other things in my house.

So, I'm thinking of bringing her down to the barn when I feed everyone. If she doesn't get enough exercise to poop then, I'm thinking mineral oil, but she's so darn small. Maybe the size of a week old doeling? Thoughts?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Might want to try an enema. Some folks use warm water and dish detergent, some use warm water and a little mineral oil. I have had luck just using plain warm water. I take a small syringe (no needle of course) lube up the tip and inject the warm water slowly. I usually use a 3 cc syringe and maybe reload a couple times. Good luck!

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/constipationinne.html

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Might want to try an enema. Some folks use warm water and dish detergent, some use warm water and a little mineral oil. I have had luck just using plain warm water. I take a small syringe (no needle of course) lube up the tip and inject the warm water slowly. I usually use a 3 cc syringe and maybe reload a couple times. Good luck!

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/constipationinne.html

Thanks! I'll try that. We lost the best Malamute ever, Thor, today from something not even the vet is sure of. So, I've been offline. (for obvious reasons) :hit

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost both of my Westies the same day just a few weeks ago, so I can surely sympathize with you. Hope your little goat gets better soon!

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost both of my Westies the same day just a few weeks ago, so I can surely sympathize with you. Hope your little goat gets better soon!

I went ahead and gave her an enema. Took several and I could feel a large mass of impacted poop. So, after several enemias and massaging her gut, I got her to poo a marble-size poop. After that, I had her run around a bit and then tried some milk. A couple of drinks, but still not hungry yet. So, she's back in the crate for the time being.

Thanks for the condolences. I'm really upset right now. Can't hardly think. Never had a dog die with this, which is saying a lot because I'm a retired musher and owned more than 50 dogs. Losing Thor was rough.

Latest posts