do you grass feed or grain feed before slaughter?

oldbarncat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We pasture our steers for the season, pen them so they are not running all over the place. Feed them good hay and grain. Great tender beef. Mind you are beef are either full Angus or Angus/Jersey cross.

offshorewife

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Grass fed beef is so much better for you than corn fed. Cows simply were not made to eat corn but grasses and grain only. Read Real Foods, The Omnivores Dilemma, etc about the grass fed/pasture movement. Two years ago we switched over to grass and grain only meats and our health has improved tremendously. We have also found that slaughtering at a younger age helps with flavor when grass feeding. Also, studies have found that feeding corn is one of the reasons we find E coli in our meat now as it produces digestive problems for the cattle.

COUNTRYMAN

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i grass feed and finish all of my cattle 100% the problem i see in alot of case's with poor quality in pasture finished beef is if you feed them trash pasture you will get trash meat, you can only get out what you put in, finish them out on good quality grasses and you will see and tast the diffrence. i dont have a problem with any one corn/grain feeding if thats what they choose to do but because you or some one else cant get the job done correctly on grass......dont assume we all cant because i have and do