Do You Own Horses/Donkeys/Mules?

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have noticed that this area of the forums does not receive much activity, so I wanted to open up a conversation and ask if any of you owned horses, mules, or donkeys. Please let us know what breeds you own, maybe how old they are and even include a photo? Do you ride them, work with them, or show them? I would love to hear more from BYH friends here!

My husband and I currently do not have anything other than dogs, bunnies, and some feathered friends. But I grew up at my Grandmother's farm around 9 horses- 1 Quarab, 1 Appaloosa, 4 Quarter Horses, 2 Spotted Saddle Horses, and 1 Spotted Saddle/Quarter Horse. I used to ride frequently, and was involved in some training while I was young. Soon, by the end of 2016, we hope to purchase a young mule and start training them for work around the farm.

Thank you to anyone who stops by and helps this section of the forums get some life back to it! I really appreciate any stories and info about your equine friends! :)

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
We own a total of 5 equines. The biggest is Latte, my 11-year-old, roughly 15 hh palomino QH mare. Her best friend/favorite punching bag is Sunny, my daughter's 13-year-old 14 hh chestnut QH (yeah, Latte is a very bossy "boss mare."). Next is "Syd, the Man-Eating Mini" - at 10 hands, she's too big for registration, though both of her parents were registered Miniature Horses. Syd is 9 years old, a black Tobiano pinto, and walking brattitude (well, not so much now, though she does have her moments). Blondie is a 35" palomino mini, 7 years old, and puppy-dog sweet. She was bought for my daughter as a weanling. Smallest but most definitely NOT least is Besty, my 33" mini mule. Though Betsy is the lowest animal in the mini paddock, she is absolutely crammed with personality. I say she was "first in my herd, and first in my heart," if I had to get rid of all but one, she'd have to be the one. Learning to see the world through the wise eyes of a mule has been an experience I wouldn't have missed for anything.:love

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
have had horses for the last 53 years until this last summer when i found a new home for my Arabian gelding. was mostly either quarter horses, paints or arabs. the quarter horses were the most level headed for the most part but the arabs were the most fun to ride in the mountains. will try to post pictures

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
1240.JPG1241.JPG 450.JPG 744.JPG first pic of the grey horse is prince tahar better known as tarball. one of the fastest horses i have ever ridden (and as a teenager i use to ride QH's and thoroughbreds just off the track for a guy) and a true sweet heart. all the Arabian heart you would ever want or need. his grand sire was the black stallion who was filmed in the black stallion movie and the apple or hoofs didn't fall from the tree. that boy would bring tears to your eyes when you let him have free rein and then would calm back down again like we hadn't just been going 100 miles an hour. 2nd, the dun horse is legendary cool, barn name cool. as sweet a pocket pony as you'd ever want to meet. smart as a whip and steady under saddle. 3rd is ruby, aka ruby red horse. is a great gal and a wonderful trail horse. she went to a home with 3 young girls who love her to death and spoil her rotten. and the 4th picture is of cool following my granddaughter down the road to where she caught the school bus. he would go down to the gate and stay with her till she got on the bus then he would go graze until it was time then he would be there when she got off the bus and walk her back to the house. i sure miss that horse smell.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two mini mares, 3yrs and other is going to be 2 next year. Hoping to find a good cart trainer to send them to when they are mature enough. Right now, they just eat up time, money and love. :)
Then I have a gelding, working on dropping weight and becoming a riding horse. Meeting a trainer in November and hopefully sending him for training for 2-3mo. I've taught him to walk, but he needs pro training.
Hope to make local horse friends and one day go trail riding with the gelding.
dmm.jpg
d2.jpeg
m2.jpg
10857760_1530877607198790_8388559410575960256_n.jpg
m3m.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
4 holes in my pocket that I dump money in. :lol: The love of my life is Joe, a pure white, blue eyed cremello QH. he is 25 years old and has two speeds. Slow and Stop. He's the worth his weight in gold, gentle sweetie that everybody always wants, but seldom finds.

Sparkles, TW dark bay 27 year old mare. We've had her 17 years and she still doesn't truly trust anyone. Whatever happened to her before we got her must have been terrible to make her so distant.

Rocki, big red mare that is an unpainted Paint. She is like a 1200 pound dog, follows me around just to get petted.

And then we have a mule, the daughter of Sparkles. We had a tri-colored spotted jack that threw color, some really pretty mules. We bred Sparkles to him and got a dark bay mule. Every horse in Sparkles blood line is black with the exception of a very few bays. Just couldn't bust that black gene.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@secuono Oh my goodness, your last photo brings up such fond memories of my times laid back in a horse field! I absolutely love the story and photos you shared, but the one of you in the grass with all your ponies surrounding you is just wonderful.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Baymule I would love to see photos of your hoofed crew, especially your cremello, Joe. I am curious to know what the temperament of your mule is like. We have been debating whether to start back with horses, or to try our hand and get a young mule. As for your mare, Sparkles, I can relate to the distrust issue. My first horse, the Quarab, was purchased as a yearling for a very cheap price. It was suspicious...When we went to work her, she broke my mom's nose, and my aunt's leg. She was flighty, scared, distrusting, and never rode. Later we found out why this behavior came about- the previous owners admitted that their kid used to tie her up and beat her with lead ropes, among other things. She had a broken spirit, but we loved her dearly.