doe behavior?

Sunny75

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi. So this will be our first kidding season and Daisy is first up. April 3rd will be day 145. So she has about a month to go. Over the last week or so I've noticed occasional slight brownish discharge and she is spending a lot of time laying down. She is eating and drinking fine and seems fine otherwise. Is this normal behavior or should I be worried? The only comparison I have is her cousin who is due closer to mid-April and Bali is still normal old crazy Bali..

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Every doe seems to have different behavior when it comes to pregnancy/kidding. Does the discharge look like there is blood in it? If so, you may want to have her checked out. If it is just sort of an off-white/light tan, some does have this kind of discharge a few weeks before kidding. One of my does starts having discharge close to a month before she pops. If she is showing any signs of being in pain or if she runs a temperature, you'd want to have her looked at as well.

Laying down more often and slowing down in general is pretty common for does in their last month or so of pregnancy, but again, every doe is different. For instance, my herd queen, Queenie is due is at the end of March and waddles slowly everywhere she goes. Ami, another doe that was bred the same day, is slow sometimes, but runs and jumps around at other times.

Sunny75

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks. It doesn't look bloody, more a darker tan. She is definitely slowing down but I've felt all over (even felt babies move yesterday :) )and she doesn't flinch or show any sign of pain. We did have a problem with our older doe starting to get pretty rough with the two youngsters, so we separated her just in case. For now I guess we'll just keep watching her.. thanks again for the reassurance.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
It sounds normal. Probably just dried up discharge. If it grows in quantity, or the color seems like it could be blood, then maybe you need to do some more investigating.

Latest posts