East coast snow storm

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We are 40 miles south of DC right in the path of the big snow storm. They are predicting 18-24 inches.
That may not be a lot for some of you in the north, but for us around here, that is crippling. I'm currently stuck at work for the next 32 hours. Anyone else in the storm??

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Predicting 18 for us, but this stinks because we don't live at our barn (about 5 mins away) so getting the animals what they need will be a challenge. I hate snow tbh :sick

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here in the southeastern corner of North Carolina it is currently 40 degrees and pouring rain - with an occasional flash of lightning. I feel for you folks - ice/snow storms shut us down, too.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, 50 miles SW of VA Beach here and got 2" snow, HEAVY winds. It then went to mix and coming to rain. Cold 26 then wind chill. It's supposed to be in 40s within couple hrs :rolleyes: then, colder & more snow. ??? 100 miles from me, West, not so good.

Feeding and WATER is an issue as the cold freezes it quickly. But, hot water and they suck it down! Chickens hovered in their coop today, just wandering out briefly -- back inside! Goats, pigs & horses hung out in their barns, also.

I wanted to stay in my own "barn" but, had to take care of the feed & water.:love My choice to own them. Had made sure I had feed, bedding & all that earlier in week. Went this AM to get gas containers for generator filled -- in case -- got a new Carhart jacket at TSC while right next to them as they were on sale at 1/2 price! Warm. It was clear until about 10:30 here, then snow started.

You guys in DC, Roanoke, Charlottesville areas will get hammered!! Too much snow for me.
The two inches I have are too much.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya'll be safe out there. Don't know how you do it. It's windy and cold here too (south of Houston) but I'm not gonna complain at all! As much as I complain about the mud - I'd rather have that than the frozen stuff ya'll are dealing with.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I well remember the effect winter weather had/has on the VA Beach area. Was stationed there for many years. Worse of course for those folks as you went inland/west of there. The worst thing was the ice storms. Regardless, I guess a good portion of the east coast is going to get some winter here over the next day or two. Be safe, stay warm, wishing y'all the best for you, your families and animals.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have freezing rain
1/4 inch of ice and still building
Plus 20 mph wind
We still have power but a lot of folks are dark

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have over 12" and snow is still falling! Since neither of us have to work this weekend we'll just enjoy the snow day... as long as the power stays on :p otherwise it turns into a nightmare trying to keep ourselves and the animals alive :hide But we are all prepped and stocked up on feed, bedding, generator fuel, jars of drinking water for us and buckets of water for the animals.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Warm thoughts to everyone dealing with this storm. I can't imagine being stuck at work for 32 hours! Stay safe everyone, and if your power goes out I hope it's back on quickly.