Ewe with fever

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
my ewe rosie has a fever of 104.. She was fine last night. We gave her safeguard, but I was just curious, what else could I do. I checked her udder, and its fine. Her poop is solid and her eyelids are pink. She wouldn't go out with her kids and shes just standing in the corner of her stall chewing cud. Shes off her feed, but drinking frequently.

Update: I gave her some hay and she nibbled on it a bit.

image.jpg

Last edited:

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she has good poop, good eyelid color, udder is not hot or hard, no cuts, swollen joints, swollen parts of her face, nasal discharge, hoof rot, or any other outward signs... I would first take a fecal sample to actually be sure what worms she may or may not have, then start her on a course of penicillin and see if she improves.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Found our culprit. Thankfully her breathing is mostly clear and all her symtoms are early signs.
image.png

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update: she grazed a bit and had some grain. We got shots from the vet and all three of them got it. She went outside and although she layed down a lot she would run away if I came near her. I'm so worried but I think she will be alright.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is good that you got something from your vet. Did he give you any Banamine for her?

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is good that you got something from your vet. Did he give you any Banamine for her?
I'm not sure what they got exactly.

Last edited:

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to figure out what meds you just used!

You should always know what you are injecting into your animals. I would never just give a shot without knowing what it was. I know you are young and still learning- not trying to be harsh :)

You generally give several shots over the course of a week when using antibiotics.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to figure out what meds you just used!

You should always know what you are injecting into your animals. I would never just give a shot without knowing what it was. I know you are young and still learning- not trying to be harsh :)

You generally give several shots over the course of a week when using antibiotics.
I'm aware. I know my dad knows went into them but yea definitly something to pay attention to :hide.. Also they get the shot again on friday.