Ewes can't stand. Help!

FlipFlopRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have two ewes who can't stand. One started showing symptoms a few days before the other. They are eating, drinking and going to the bathroom. No fever. One grinds her teeth every once in a great while, but neither seems to be in pain or distress. Neither are lethargic, they are both alert and responsive.

Except laying down and unable to stand, they seem perfectly fine. Any ideas?

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Grinding their teeth is a sign of pain.

Any mineral deficiencies in your area?
What's your worming schedule like?

I would call in a vet.

To me having two down is a big problem because it means it isn't an isolated occurrence and the rest of your herd could be affected down the road

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with BrownSheep...not being able to stand is a very big problem and time for a vet. Keep us posted and hope you find out what is causing this!

FlipFlopRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They may be pregnant, but aren't far along if they are. I though mineral deficiency and/or worm load. They're new sheep so I don't know what their worming schedule was prior to me getting them. I've dewormed them and given them vitamin b shots. They were very anemic on the FAMACHA so I can only assume that's what's going on. They are also quite thin which can't help.

If they aren't better in the morning though, I'm taking them to the vet.

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree that teeth grinding is a sign of pain. My ewes do it while they are in labor.