Expanding the Herd

themorethemerrier

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi all. I would like to add two doelings to my little herd, which consists of three yearling wethers. The boys were bottle babies and are super sweet. I know the breeder has her herd tested and all is good, especially since we both use the same vet. Since the wethers are my first experience with goats, I'm not sure of the process to expand and introduce new goats to my existing flock. Do they need their own stall in the barn? Can they share the 2.0 acre pasture? Immediately or after a time?

The doelings will be between 4-6 weeks of age.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
In no particular order... yes they can share the same pasture, but probably it would be good for the little does to have their own space until they get a little bigger and more confident in their new home... just like mixing kindergarteners in the same recess as 4th graders can lead to unwanted pushing and shoving.

I know it is wise and prudent to keep new additions separate from the existing herd but I've introduced a new addition to the herd without the quarantine. It isn't a good idea, although it worked out just fine I wouldn't do it again. All that to say sometimes one just doesn't have the fencing to put up an isolation pen.

Regarding having a stall just for the does... let them figure out sleeping arrangements since you have wethers you don't need to be concerned about any illicit romances going on.

And, above all, pictures, please and thank you!

themorethemerrier

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks, animalmom! As for pictures, the does are expected to kid at the end of June. I'm hoping for two doelings, at least, and then I'll have pictures to share.