Feeder Pigs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The title says it all. If you are offended by raising pigs for slaughter and consumption, stop reading here. This thread is going to be about raising pigs to slaughter weight and will end with pictures of supper. :drool

Thought we were going to get blue-butts, but when we got there, there was a pen of black pigs with white markings which I knew to be Berkshires $$$$ and some solid black pigs which I hoped :fl to be maybe half Berkshire. This guy raises Berkshires for show pigs for the FFA and 4-H kids in his area and he gets some good prices for them. He sells the ones that don't make the cut for show pigs as feeder pigs for $200.00 :ep I wanted cheap pigs......

Sure enough, they were 1/2 Berkshire! :weee And the other half was Large Black, another desirable heritage pig! :love We got 2 girls and 1 boy (used to be boy) :lol: He had probably 15 pigs in a very small enclosure. In case ya'll haven't been keeping up with the weather in Texas, we've had LOTS of rain, like floods and all kinds of weather. We haven't flooded, but last weekend we got 3" and the weekend before that we got 13"! So add a LOT of rain, a bunch of pigs, and you get MUD. Add in pig poo and you get SLICK SMELLY MUD. SLOP!

The man, Mike, went in the pen, one look at my husband told me I was elected to go in the pig pen to help catch pigs. :\ My husband had pulled the trailer up beside the pen with the escape door to the pen. Perfect for putting pigs in the trailer! ;) Mike tried to catch pigs, pigs ran around the pen, I tried to guide them to him and got splattered with pig poo for my efforts. :tongue Mike went and got a hog panel and wired up one end to the pen wire, leaving the other end open. I walked the pigs in the gap and Mike closed it and wired it shut.

I went out of the pen, stood next to my husband and Mike captured a black pig. My husband and I reached over the pen, Mike lifted the pig, we each grabbed a hind leg and we all swung the pig in the open side door. One down. We repeated it twice more, then my husband drove his the truck, skidding in the mud, through the gate and onto solid ground. Whew! Pig Wranglers! Oh Yeah! :clap

When we hooked up the trailer this morning, we had a flat. :somad Our neighbor, Robert, brought his compressor over and aired it up. When we got to the first little town, I checked the tire, one glance told it all, flat. :he Pulled in a tire store and it had a hole in the sidewall. Bought a new tire. :(

When we got home with our piggy trio, DH backed the trailer up to the garden gate, we placed plywood as a ramp, also to keep the little suckers from escaping under the trailer and we let them out. They took off for the far corner, DH pulled the trailer away from the gate and Robert shut it. I got them feed and hooked up 3 water hoses for fresh water. They wanted nothing to do with me, feed, water, Robert, my husband, nothing. Just huddled in the corner.

I just looked out there and they all three have their little heads shoved off in the feed. :D Eat and grow big little piggies!

Their names are Bacon, Sausage and Pork Chop. I think Robert is partial to Pork Chop (the boy) so Bacon and Sausage will belong to us and @Devonviolet . We are raising the pigs. We were going to raise one for ourselves to split with our DD and family, Robert doesn't have a place for a pig and pigs like company, sooo...... Devonviolet thought it was a great idea and wanted a pig too........ so there we are. We'll split the cost of the feed and everybody gets a pig!

They are in out garden area, it is deep in pine shavings and horse manure from a horse event center not far from us. They can plow it up all winter and in spring, go to slaughter and we'll have a enriched garden spot. The garden is around 70'x100' so plenty of room for them.

They haven't even glanced at the Hawg Hut we are so proud of!

http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/hawg-hut-or-goat-or-sheep-or-dhs-new-
digs.32088/

So this is the start of a fun project raising our own meat, knowing how the animals were raised and treated and what they ate. My husband waited all his life to become a pig farmer! :lol:

Pig three.jpg

pigs 11-3-15.jpg

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They look awesome and will be tasty for sure! Love the pooey goo story
We have had raining for several days which always turns our pens into soup.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Grats! That's great! Loved the part where you talked about the gooey/pooy mess; :sick Picturing trying to catch them in that! :lol:

So add a LOT of rain, a bunch of pigs, and you get MUD. Add in pig poo and you get SLICK SMELLY MUD. SLOP!

But what was a real crack up was when you said:

The man, Mike, went in the pen, one look at my husband told me I was elected to go in the pig pen to help catch pigs. :\

Followed by:

My husband waited all his life to become a pig farmer! :lol:

WOW, the life-long wannabe pig farmer delegated you to do the "heavy" work! ;):hide:lol::hugs

Great looking future meals there! Again, Grats!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My husband waited all his life to be a.......(fill in the blank) It is a joke between us as he was single, living in the fast lane, a party animal....... a city boy.....then BAM! He laid eyes on me, lost his heart and his life has never been the same. Bless his lil' ol' pea pickin' heart......

I turned his life upside down, inside out, and have had him doing things he never dreamed of in his worst nightmares. He's been in the thick of things since he married me. Cows, chickens, pigs, more chickens, horses, a pet pot belly pig, dogs, more dogs, gardening, making him turn around for bags of leaves out by the curb (to put in the chicken coop/run-makes lovely compost several months later) moved him out of our 2500 sq ft nice brick home downtown in our former small town to a 1500 sq ft doublewide so far out in the sticks that it took 7 months to find an internet provider.

He dug the hole and prayed over our daughter's dead pet chicken, went and bought me a longhorn bull because I remarked 3 weeks earlier that I had always wanted a longhorn, cried with me when a newborn baby mule died in my arms, celebrated with me when the next mule born was perfect and healthy, hauled cows, fed horses, bought hay, worked his tail off hauling loads of horse poop for the garden and has had my back in every wacky crazy idea I have had. At least his life is not boring. :gig

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
OH wow - you could be describing MY husband and his new life, lol. We've been together 15 years now and his story is exactly as you described! The first time I asked him to help pull a baby goat you shoulda seen his face! But, his remark: "I'm a nurse - I'll try" and he did! Bless his lil' ol' pea pickin' heart! :lol:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the pigs. Hope you get lots of BACON :drool
I'm with you, @Goat Whisperer!

I told Baymule I want the one named Bacon. :lol: I LOVE bacon, but usually can't eat it because of the nitrates, which give me migraines. Now that we are going to have our own pig, we can make the bacon without chemicals. I am SO looking forward to eating our pig! :celebrate

Last edited: